3/4" Raritan 2-4-0 build.

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Bill Shields

Re: 3/4" Raritan 2-4-0 build.

Post by Bill Shields »

Glue?

As a general rule...I do not paint anything until I am sure it goes around the track without derailing

You will be surprised at the articulation required to get through some turnouts.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
shild

Post by shild »

Bill Shields wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:14 pm Glue?

As a general rule...I do not paint anything until I am sure it goes around the track without derailing

You will be surprised at the articulation required to get through some turnouts.
Yes, glue so I can pull it apart and not need a torch if I have problems. Also this thing is steel so I have to paint it or it will rust.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

You are missing the point on both counts.
Steamer Al

Post by Steamer Al »

Why not just do it correct from the start? While Im not familiar with coupler slots of what people are saying it sounds like a relatively simple filing job?
shild

Post by shild »

Alright I filed the coupler box out bigger and painted whole frame. Thinking about an arbor for the wheels right now. Thinking of using a piece of 3/4" stock because I'll have the option of putting it in a collet. I can depend on a 3/4" arbor to go back into a collet consistently enough every time I want to do another 8 wheels can't I?
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

That is the definition of collet.

How have you cleaned the steel in preparation for painting?
shild

Post by shild »

Bill Shields wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:33 pm That is the definition of collet.

How have you cleaned the steel in preparation for painting?
Yes, then picked it up with paper towels so no finger prints.
shild

Post by shild »

Thanks for the replies guys. Got the arbor done and did all stages to get the first 2 wheels done which I plan to use for the pilot truck. I'm working at making an axle right now. I'm wondering how much of an interference fit it should be? Can the wheels realistically be pressed on with the mill? Or a vise? Looks like I might be able to get ball bearings from a scooter on too if I want but the wheels will have to press up directly against the bearings,
jcbrock

Post by jcbrock »

What do the drawings call for? My expectation would be it would be a bare whisper, like 0.001" or less. I would not press them with your mill. Your quill is not designed for that kind of force in that direction, while a press is. It might be worth taking to an automotive machine shop if you do not have pressing equipment. I know Kozo does a small clearance fit and then uses a Loctite, a sleeve retainer like 640 or 680 would be a good one. That's another way to do it if you can't get the press fit right.
John Brock
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

I agree with John above. Considering the circumstances under which you are working, there is no reason not to use Loctite. There are some members of this forum who badmouth Loctite, but if you follow the directions, there is no reason it will not work with the loads a live steam locomotive will put on it. I have used Loctite products with success on wheels. As long as you use the proper Loctite product and follow the directions you will be OK.

Machining a press fit in the size you are working with would require measurements of the bore and the axle to be accurate to several ten thousands of an inch, and measuring a small bore to that level would require measuring tools I doubt you have. Machining for a Loctite fit gives you much more latitude and you will not need special equipment such as a press to assemble the wheels and axles.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Do not use a mill as an arbor press for anything.
milwiron

Post by milwiron »

With straight and good finishes on a 7/16 diameter bore and shaft I'd suggest a little under a thou press. If your finish is rough go for a slight slip fit and 638 Loctite (that should read 648 Loctite, not 638, according to the OP, reference post # 136).
Lathes and mills make very poor arbor presses but do well holding parts straight waiting for Loctite to kick off.
A large enough cast steel vise can be used for pressing small parts. You'll be shocked how easy it is to bust a cast iron vise trying to press with it.
If you're going to press make sure everything is straight and square. Having a short section of the end of the shaft/axle turned a thou or two under can help with press alignment.
Denny
"Measure twice, curse once."