Argent Lumber 3 spot

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Dick_Morris

Re: Argent Lumber 3 spot

Post by Dick_Morris »

I can think of a couple of ways that you could make the stack as a casting. What is it, about 8" diameter?
SZuiderveen

Post by SZuiderveen »

Steve Alley should have Gene Allen’s pattern for this stack. As I recalled in may be a little beat up, and it may not have a core box. We never cast it during the time I was involved.

Steve
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

If you used resin or sodium silicate sand you could make a disposable core box on a 3D printer. Because you don't need to ram these types of cores the walls could be fairly thin, like a vase. To remove, use a disk grinder.
SZuiderveen

Post by SZuiderveen »

I found a couple of photos of Gene Allen's stack.

Steve
scan0036.jpg
scan0025.jpg
rudd

Post by rudd »

Wow, thanks Steve. Had no idea he made something like that till you mentioned it.
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

The Internet has several good photos of #3.

The balloon portion is a lot bigger than the Allen stack.

The middle "onion" portion looks rolled, then riveted or bolted to disc halves on the top and bottom.

Someone once posted some excellent info on these types of stacks. If I remember correctly the cast stack extends up into the balloon portion, which is sheet metal.

All designed for wood burning locos to allow the burning cinders to fall within the balloon instead of being launched out the stack.

JMHO.

Take care,
Brian
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

rudd

Post by rudd »

I didn't have that particular photo, so thanks. I have lots of photos off the web, and many I took down in "Way-across" Georgia.
Note the line around the center portion in the photo, which I have seen noted as a "weld" on drawings in the Ferrell book. The line is very apparent in many of the photos in Ferrel's book. That book also has a great sectional drawing of the stack. Judging by the hatching in the drawing, the center portion is cast, the line would then be the parting line. The rest is not hatched, marking me thing sheet metal.
The stack on the 2 has a slightly different top portion, more "cone-ish" with a bigger opening on top.
Capture.JPG
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

Rudd - I agree that the hatched sections on the drawing look to be cast, with the unhatched sheet metal.
This one is 56" diameter or 11.2" at 1/5 scale? Comparing it to the track gauge, the Argent 3 looks to be closer to be around 40 inches?
rudd

Post by rudd »

Dick_Morris wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:21 pm Rudd - I agree that the hatched sections on the drawing look to be cast, with the unhatched sheet metal.
This one is 56" diameter or 11.2" at 1/5 scale? Comparing it to the track gauge, the Argent 3 looks to be closer to be around 40 inches?
Not sure on diameter. Luckily my office has been doing a good bit of work with the college in Way-across, so I'll get another site visit before I get ready to build the stack. Throwing a scale on the Ferrell drawing gives me 46" or so.

I also got to thinking that really, you have the curved center portion, then the parts above and below that are frustrums of a cone, and so could be laid out in sheet metal and rolled. Just the center segment would have to be formed.
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

Looks like a fun little puzzle!

Keep us in the loop.
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

I wonder if you could roll and weld a cylinder and form the center section on an English wheel? I've also seen a plannishing hammer used for forming sheet metal between two surfaces. I've never used either but have seen videos.