One Day Train Table

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Glenn Brooks

One Day Train Table

Post by Glenn Brooks »

So my goal was to fab up a one day build for another train table. I’ve wanted a longer table to build 10- 12’ rail cars, and accommodate two, hopefully, short and quick engine restoration projects this fall. So needed a light weight, multi purpose project table to accommodate rolling stock and yard goats inside the shop.

Five design requirements:

1) all materials sourced from my store of recycled, scavenged steel,
2) maximum access to the underside of body, frame and powertrain,
3) easy standing height to work on the frame and side,(no bending, squatting, or contortionist poses to turn a wrench or chip paint...)
4) no ties or cross beams to interfere with reaching-into-the-works.
5) able to accommodate 7.5” ga (my new secret train idea), 12” ga (existing size) equipment, and 15” gauge possible new loco gauge conversion (discussed with the wife, sort of)

Hence, 30” height to the top of rail, 36” wide base for stability and support for 15” ga work, and easy crawling underneath to work on stuff.

Note, decided I couldn’t really fit a 12’ table in the shop, so made this 8’ long, with the idea of bolting on a ‘short’ two to four foot table extension latter on.

So, I figured I would try a quick one day build and see what happens.

Almost made it...

Here’s my design and construction drawing:
A3069C92-4712-426E-94D7-A74478CDBCBA.jpeg
And the vertical supports and one rail. Pretty sure the 1”x 4” steel tubing will support a 7’ clear span between the two bents.
1FA9F6EC-1B1F-4535-92AD-A45156E0D16E.jpeg
76BCD022-BD66-42F1-80CA-75136E80D8D5.jpeg
Might still add the 45* angle truss supports latt
015C44E3-57B0-4B68-B65F-60E962D8732C.jpeg
A1D9EBA1-12E0-44CE-A0D4-BFBF0E8BDF95.jpeg
I plan to add a third 1”x4” rail to the outside of this rail configuration if the 15” gauge thing becomes a reality. Same with the smaller, 7.5” ga track...

Still needs cleanup, paint, and the casters bolted on. The kids got us a surprise BD/ anniversary Covid isolation resort stay starting tomorrow, so ended early and decided to leave the rest for another day.

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
ccvstmr

Re: One Day Train Table

Post by ccvstmr »

Glenn, you might consider "hinged" or pivoting end wings or extensions. This, to facilitate loading/unloading equipment into a vehicle for transport. This assumes your vehicle or RR are at heights different from the cart. Keep "adjustability" in mind.

Here's something I put together last year (no, I do not roll equipment from the floor onto the lower level). Like you, material came out of the scrap rack. Basic cart is 6 feet long. End wings are 18" long, removable and can pivot. With the wings "up" and braced...have a 9 foot work surface. This cart was built for 1.5" scale equipment. Therefore, construction was light weight compared to what you're building. Can be easily be dismantled for storage with minimal effort. All wheels swivel and can be locked.

After the photo was taken, added 6" or 8" wide plywood shelves on each side of the upper level for tools, supplies or other. Carl B.

IMG_2335.JPG
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Carl, that’s an excellent suggestion. I’ll add the wings. At least make them bolt on. One issue is grand scale riding cars need to be 12’ to 14’ long, to accommodate maximum number of seats/car. So the wheel base on passenger stock tends to be upwards of 10’-11’. The wings would allow me to use the table for loco build/repair and building rolling stock.

So far, height isn’t to much of an issue, although it could be if our local group succeeds in building a club track. (15” ga) Then loading and unloading would become a more frequent occurrence for me.

Many thanks for the ideas.

Glenn

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

ChipsAhoy

Post by ChipsAhoy »

OBSERVATIONS:
#1 Looks PERFECT
#2 Wish I had your scrap pile!
#3 Careful rolling out on 4' extensions!
#4 Looks PERFECT!!!

Scotty
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Scotty, thanks, yes indeed. At first, my thought about a 4’ extension table was a short version of the table - 4 legs, casters, stand alone table, etc, with stout fish plate bolt on connectors to extend the 4 x2 table to the big one. But lot of welding for not much capacity. So think I will go with Carl’s shorter, swivel up wings, one of each end.

This time I need to do some serious mocking up of prototypes, and double checking of lengths to verify best car design.

Our 15” gauge live steam club is rapidly taking shape. So want to settle on an appropriate set of standards for rolling stock dimensions.

Glenn

Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Finished, without refinements.
D839E0FB-1FCC-49C9-B5F1-0F3B895B748A.jpeg
It needed to go to work...
0EBC8F1A-0F7A-4F41-AB9F-9C09E9080944.jpeg