Green Twin Oscillator

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

PatJ

Green Twin Oscillator

Post by PatJ »

I recently completed a green twin oscillating steam engine, which is a 60% scale model of an engine that I saw on the Preston's Services website.
The only information I had was the three photos from Preston's.

A 3D model was created; patterns were both 3D printed and hand-made, and two sets of castings were made.

The flywheels were cast in gray iron, and the remaining parts were cast in 356 aluminum.

This engine is scheduled to be published in Live Steam & Outdoor Railroading perhaps this fall, and will include photos, write-up, and complete drawings.

Due to my busy work schedule, this engine was built in an on-off fashion over a period of 8 years, beginning in 2012.
I build an iron-melting furnace for this build (two actually), and can easy melt and cast gray iron at this point.

It was a challenging project to say the least because I had to learn machining, pattern making, 3D modeling, and foundry work.
This is the first complete engine of any type that I have made.
rImg_7826.jpg
PatJ

Re: Green Twin Oscillator

Post by PatJ »

Videos of the casting of two flywheels for this build in gray iron are located here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9dVr4 ... EXw/videos
K. Browers

Post by K. Browers »

Hello Pat,
I think to say steep learning curve would be an understatement. Congratulations nice model.
Karel
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Fantastic. You have phenomenal skill and patience. Well done!
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
PatJ

Post by PatJ »

Thanks much for the kind comments.

I am quite relieved to have this engine finally finished.

I have been saying I have this engine "almost" finished for years, but "almost" and "finished" are two very different things.

I told my wife it took 6 months to build the engine, and 7.5 years to build a foundry and figure out how to use it.

I am really excited about what I could potentially build at this point, and have a 60% scale O&S horizontal steam engine in mind (like Dave Richards uses to power his machine shop).
Bore would be 3" dia.