Nickel Plate 762

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Berkman

Re: Nickel Plate 762

Post by Berkman »

So neat ! Still waiting to see someone build a C&O or Virginian from these parks, or even a 2-10-4 of some kind!
JKreider

Post by JKreider »

There is one C&O Kanawha being built. I would like to see a Pennsy J built from these parts.

Jim Kreider
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

would it need a longer trailing truck for a PRR j?
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

This thing is an absolute beast!
IMG_2454b.jpg
BAdams

Post by BAdams »

Tom Lawson's Berk, Riverside Live Steamers Spring Meet 2018:
April 21_109.JPG
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

was that C&O 2-10-4 from Jim's castings? In some ways it looks like it was but then also it looks like it is larger than 1.5, really it looks a bit bigger than even 1.6.
JKreider

Post by JKreider »

If I remember right, only my driver castings were used.
Jim Kreider
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Here are a few snappies of some little baloney for Jim's Berkshire. The first is the compressor governor and mounting bracket. This was just made up from bar stock and I am thinking of pulling some molds off of the pieces and then have them available. This is what 759 has. Its the most complicated governor I have seen. Did other engines use this same one? Then there are a couple shots of a Detroit lubricator. This was from my last production run of these lubricators. They were quite a fiddle. I will be making another run of these in the future but I'm not sure when. I am also working on another completely new lubricator for future release but don't want to divulge what it is until I have a working prototype. Jims engine will also have a DV7 on the other side. I think he wants it set up so that one lubricator is for the cylinders, and the other for the crossheads. This week I will be playing with the little Hudson. Probably fitting up the running board supports and making the running boards. Also assembling the Franklin precision power reverse. Too much fun!
Jack
Attachments
Comp. Gov..jpg
Detroit1.jpg
Detroit2.jpg
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Russ, Steve, and Asteamhead, thank you for your generous compliments, they mean a lot to me. Next to the New York central Hudsons the Nickel Plate Berkshires are one of my favorites. If you like making little trinkets they are an detial lovers dream. These engines had every modern appliance you could think of. About the only thing they didn't have was a trailing truck booster. They didn't need one! This is the third Berk. I have finished, eventually I will get it right...
Happy Model Building
Jack
Rwilliams

Post by Rwilliams »

Jack,

The very late model compressor governor was often noted for being easier to service than the earlier model pump governors. They were also known for being more reliable with fewer road failures. By that time in development of the compressor governors, Westinghouse had finally figured out what worked and what did not work well. Some in the industry were so impressed with the performance that they called them the Super Governor.

The Western Pacific RR bought diesels real early and by 1952 steam was a fading memory. The supply of new parts was sold off to other railroads if possible before the scrap dealers took what was remaining. The narrow gauge West Side Lumber Co. saw some bargains to be had in the sale of new old stock and loaded up on spares to keep the fleet of shays in operation. Among the items shipped back to the warehouse in Tuolumne City was a supply of the Westinghouse Super Governors. It was amazing to see the narrow gauge shays from the early 1920 era sporting the like new 1940 era Super Governor in the steam supply line to the air pumps during the final years of operation.

Robert
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Here is a look at the dummy lube lines on the lead and trailing truck.
Jack
Attachments
Lube Lines4.jpg
Lube Lines5.jpg
ALCOSTEAM

Post by ALCOSTEAM »

Pontiacguy1 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:01 am This thing is an absolute beast!
IMG_2454b.jpg
This is Larry Goldsbys C&O 2-10-4. I was up at Larry's in late 2004 and got to look it over under construction and yes its big. The boiler was there but not on the engine yet.
Its been long enough ago I can't remember if he made patterns and had the wheels cast or bought them. Larry is an accomplished pattern maker.