Nickel Plate 762

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

JBodenmann

Re: Nickel Plate 762

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Yes the hole in both the jacket, and boiler were drilled at the same time. The opening in the jacket is slightly larger.
Jack
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Here are a couple snappies of Jims Berk. Adding some details to the fire box area.
Jack
Attachments
Berk1.jpeg
Berk2.jpeg
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Here is an update on Jim's Berk. The engine has been taken apart for painting and final detailing. The running gear was already painted and needs only minor touch up here and there. Here we have the boiler jacket sections along with the cab, turret casing, and boiler bands. I like to paint the jacketing and bands separately and then assemble them. Some have painted all this baloney assembled and on the engine only to have a boiler band shift and expose an un painted area. I hate it when that happens :cry: After painting I like to let the paint set for at least a month. This allows it to harden completely and minimizes damage during assembly. And then...drum roll! We have snappies of one of Anthony's magnificent Nathan 4000's. Heavens to Betsy, what a beautiful piece of work. Truly "Locomotive Jewelry". Here it is in its natural habitat, mounted on the rear frame extension of the Berk. Anthony provided a special elbow that allows the delivery line to clear the frame, but I haven't installed that yet. Time to get to work, Have A Great Day.
Jack
Attachments
Paint1.jpeg
Nathan 4000.jpeg
Nathan 4000-2.jpeg
NP317

Post by NP317 »

The picture of the painted parts:
Hopefully that's not where you sleep?!
((-;
RussN
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Here are some photos of parts for Jim's Berk. Lots of bits and pieces. Engines take up a lot more room when taken apart as opposed to put together.
Jack
Attachments
Paint20.jpeg
Paint21.jpeg
Paint22.jpeg
Paint23.jpeg
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Back to work on Jim's Berk. Starting to put parts together that were painted a while ago. The fire door, Baker gear, and the rods. The rods on this engine a very nice. Also that Baker gear. More to come.
Jack
Attachments
Berk12.jpeg
Berk13.jpeg
Berk14.jpeg
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

i am convinced Jack never sleeps....
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
JKreider

Post by JKreider »

Jack has coffee pots both in the house and the shop!

Jim Kreider
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Here are few teaser snappies of Jim's Berk. To me, the motion parts are the most interesting aspect of a steam locomotive. Jim's rods are very nicely made and have been electroless nickel plated. They had been on the locomotive for years and had gotten pretty grubby. They were disassembled and were carefully detailed. Cleaned and lightly polished. The fasteners were all detailed, having the flats on the nuts and bolts metal finished and then given light polish. Then everything was re assembled. The pins were all greased and the cotter pins put in place. Like I said, the rods are an important part of loco and will usually get a good looking over. These beautiful rods leave nothing to be desired. 8) Now on to other things, more assembly and more to come. Having fun here.
Jack
Attachments
Berk100.jpeg
Berk101.jpeg
Berk102.jpeg
Steam Engine Dan

Post by Steam Engine Dan »

wow jack, with that low angle next to the drivers on the last three photos. man, it's hard to tell this a model. other than the engine stand giving it away but still. one would think you're building a full size berk. :) keep up the fantastic work. :)
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Art in the details.
Eye candy.
RussN
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Thank you Russ and Dan. Here are a couple snappies of Jim's Berk. taken today. One of the right side, and one of the left. As Dan commented on yesterday, these low angle shots are pretty cool. They do make the engine look huge, but then it is a huge engine and weighs a ton. The running board, air tank, piping support castings are all in place. Also some of the steel bar stock running board supports. This baloney all mounts on studs, so as things are finalized the studs are trimmed and set to the correct length with low strength loctite. There should be about two threads proud of the nuts when things are done up tight. I find final assembly to be a lot of fun. Painting and detailing things, then sticking them to the locomotive. Pulling everything together, and also buttoning up a lot of loose ends that I save for the end of a project. Too much fun! :D More to come.
Jack
Attachments
Berk103.jpeg
Berk104.jpeg