Nickel Plate 762

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderators: Harold_V, WJH, hwboivin3

JBodenmann

Re: Nickel Plate 762

Post by JBodenmann » Sun May 09, 2021 9:21 am

Hello My Friends
Thank you Asteamhead, I always enjoy seeing your fine work also. Here are some snappies of Jim's Berk. And a little about shop photography. This top photo came out fine , although there is a bit too much background clutter. The lighting was pretty good. But the second photo was lame. The afternoon sun often shines in the windows of the roll up door. This causes photos to have too much backlighting and caused this one to be all washed out. So I have these cardboard panels that can be popped in the windows when needed. I can place one, or all of them in place, to control the amount, and direction of light. The fourth photo down is now just fine. I also have four foot LED strips hanging from the ceiling here and there. They can also be turned on or off individually for lighting purposes. When doing shop photos of your work it is also good to arrange things or frame the photo so there is not too much background clutter. When I photograph little trinkets on the work table I will clean up the mess so you won't realize what a pig I am :D And often throw a new red rag down under the work piece. Our photos represent us so we want to make the best impression possible. One last thing, before I take Jim's engine apart for painting I will hang some back drops in the shop and spend a couple hours moving the engine around to shoot it from all angles. I will use some additional spot lighting to highlight certain details. That's all for now.
Jack
Attachments
IMG_2506.jpeg
IMG_2515.jpeg
IMG_2513.jpeg
IMG_2511.jpeg

JBodenmann

Re: Nickel Plate 762

Post by JBodenmann » Tue May 11, 2021 11:57 pm

Hello My Friends
Just some little baloney today. A photo Jim provided of the top of the boiler showing the layout and piping of the two fireman's side turbo generators. And sitting on this photo we have some little trinkets. Some dummy globe valves for both 1/8", and 3/32" piping. Also a couple Barco flexible couplings, a 3/32" tee, and elbow. These will be used to set up the piping like in the photo. On the prototype a 1/2" pipe exits the turret casing and goes to the rear generator. A 1/4" pipe tees off from this and proceeds to the front generator. There are globe valves to isolate either generator. One 1/2" valve and one 1/4" Valve. These will be represented on Jim's Berk. by the 1/8", and 3/32" valves. Having good photos always helps. Also the fact that Nickel Plate Berkshires still exist. When I get this whole mess stuck together I will see how closely I can reproduce this view, minus the rust and decay... It should be a lot of fun. :D
See Ya' Later Alligator.
Jack
Attachments
Fittings.jpeg