First steam locomotive build-3/4" scale Raritan

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

FKreider

Re: First steam locomotive build-3/4" scale Raritan

Post by FKreider »

JohnHudak wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:26 am Lets not forget that the Kozo A3 also has a copper boiler that was constructed from flat sheet.. If I remember correctly, very close in diameter to 3-1/2"? You can probably use all of his prints for the formers???
John
Good point John, LBSC used to show methods of rolling a boiler out of flat sheet as well.
-Frank K.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

I would order from the UK before I rolled
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Joe Tanski

Post by Joe Tanski »

I have a 4 1/8" diax13 1/8 copper new tube & a tube 4 1/8x2 1/4" for smoke box also formed front tube sheet
For sale
Tanski Model Engineering
Bill C

Post by Bill C »

Bill Shields wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:36 am I have lots of pictures of the original Raritan which is the 3.5 boiler...many of which as Bill Moorewood carrying it by the stack back and forth to the track...
Bill, I would love to see those photos. I’ve got a set of Raritan castings aging in my shop. Just waiting for me to work on them...

Thanks!

Bill C
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Send be a direct email. Bshields at mehrs dot com
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Bill C

Post by Bill C »

Thanks, Bill.
Email sent.

Bill C
Fastadam

Post by Fastadam »

Well... I am finally back to the mighty Raritan. The Pandemic really put a stop to all of my fun time in the garage. Having a wife and son stuck at home all day is not good for the sanity of either of them. When I would get home from work, I was pretty much on some sort of damage control. As things are starting to get back to normal, I am finding 15 minutes here and there to carve out a few pieces.
One positive thing that I was able to get done during my lunch breaks was to start drawing some of the flat sheet parts in Solidworks. This allowed me to create a DXF file for each part and send them out to an online laser cutting company. Three days later, instant gratification.
20201017_170500.jpg
20210318_171331.jpg
I also found a copper tube for sale to use when it comes time for boiler building.
20210506_161323.jpg
One task that I have been sort of dreading is the machining of lots of tiny wheels for the tender. I decided to order the riding car kit from Joe Tanski. Once I set up, I will just make all of the wheels at one time.
20210320_182706.jpg
I have started on the tender frame and trucks. Hopefully I will have something to share soon.
Adirondack

Post by Adirondack »

Fastadam wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:01 pm Well... I am finally back to the mighty Raritan. The Pandemic really put a stop to all of my fun time in the garage. Having a wife and son stuck at home all day is not good for the sanity of either of them. When I would get home from work, I was pretty much on some sort of damage control. As things are starting to get back to normal, I am finding 15 minutes here and there to carve out a few pieces.
One positive thing that I was able to get done during my lunch breaks was to start drawing some of the flat sheet parts in Solidworks. This allowed me to create a DXF file for each part and send them out to an online laser cutting company. Three days later, instant gratification.20201017_170500.jpg 20210318_171331.jpg
I also found a copper tube for sale to use when it comes time for boiler building.20210506_161323.jpg
One task that I have been sort of dreading is the machining of lots of tiny wheels for the tender. I decided to order the riding car kit from Joe Tanski. Once I set up, I will just make all of the wheels at one time.20210320_182706.jpg
I have started on the tender frame and trucks. Hopefully I will have something to share soon.
Those laser cut parts look pretty good. Would you consider sharing them with other builders? Can I ask what the ballpark cost was?

How did you like working with https://sendcutsend.com/ ? I'm always on the lookout for reliable suppliers.

Thanks

Chris
Adirondack Car & Foundry
Check out our projects: https://www.facebook.com/ADKrail/
Visit our ALL-NEW online store: https://adirondackcarfoundry.square.site/

A little locomotive with 4 wheels on the track is a lot more fun
than a 1/2 finished one with 16 wheels on the bench!
Andy R

laser cut parts fro Raritan

Post by Andy R »

I was lucky to see those parts that Adam drew and had cut by SendCutSend.
Those parts are the cat's meow. And they were very reasonably priced (before the recent spike in steel costs).

Adam even drew up some parts for my B&O P7D and some can bee seen on that thread.
The service from SendCutSend is excellent, and if you have the facilities to draw like Adam, it really saves a lot of time hacksawing, etc.
Fastadam

Post by Fastadam »

Chris
I could not be happier with sendcutsend. Having said that, I really have nothing to compare them against. You can download a file, choose a material and thickness and you get an instant quote that includes shipping. They show the price break per quantity of parts ordered. After seeing the price you can decide if its worth it to you. Super simple! The frames in 1/4" cost roughly $20 each. The other batch has over 40 pieces on it and was closer to $100. I don't mind helping out a fellow builder, as long as I am not infringing on anything that Joe Tanski rightfully owns.
Adam
Dan Willey

Post by Dan Willey »

Chris,
Yes, SendCutSend is an excellent company to work with. Like others have said, once you submit an order, you typically have the parts in 5 business day or less. I have used them a lot in my other train hobby (full size motorcars/speeders, see NARCOA.org) for various metal thickness and types (low carbon steel, and 304 SS) with excellent results. They also offer a CNC bending service. I will use them for the sheet metal cab and tender parts for my 1.5” Pennsy K4 project. All those rivet holes precut and in a straight line! I have a license and use Alibre Expert 3D CAD to design and layout the various sheet metal and other parts.

Dan
1/8 scale: Mercer Locomotive K4, Saturated Steam E6
Full scale: Woodings CBL speeder/motorcar NARCOA
Adirondack

Post by Adirondack »

Bill Shields wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:47 pm You can get it from Reeves in the UK by the foot. $100 shipping to the USA plus about $75 / foot for the pipe.
This might be a bit better price.

https://www.onlinemetals.com/en/buy/copper-round-tube

Chris
Adirondack Car & Foundry
Check out our projects: https://www.facebook.com/ADKrail/
Visit our ALL-NEW online store: https://adirondackcarfoundry.square.site/

A little locomotive with 4 wheels on the track is a lot more fun
than a 1/2 finished one with 16 wheels on the bench!