Another CliShay Build

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

jeanluc83

Re: Another CliShay Build

Post by jeanluc83 »

My transmission is done... almost, I need to cut the keyway in the main gear and shaft and then it will be done. Since the crank shaft also needs some keyways I'll probably wait and do them all at once.

Next up is finishing the trucks and the rest of the frame details. I want to get everything done and painted before I start on the engine.

Clishay transmission
Clishay transmission
jeanluc83

Post by jeanluc83 »

Here is my Clishay project as it stands one year into the reboot of the build.

The trucks, frame, transmission and running gear are mostly done. I still have two of the truck frames to silver solder and some other bits and pieces to complete before I can declare victory.

My next big task will be the engine.

Progress as of April 2020
Progress as of April 2020
April 2020
April 2020
April 2020
April 2020
April 2020
April 2020
Where I started a year ago April 2019
Where I started a year ago April 2019
April 2019
April 2019
jeanluc83

Post by jeanluc83 »

With the nice weather the work on my Clishay has slowed but I managed to get the engine baseplate mostly done.

I used the old school tool and die maker technique of chain drilling the plate, punching out the center then finishing it up with a file. I might have cheated and used a die grinder too.

It was a lot of work but still an enjoyable. It certainly makes me appreciate what the old timers had to deal with.

Base plate laid out for the cutouts.  It might not look like much but careful layout makes things a lot easier later on.
Base plate laid out for the cutouts. It might not look like much but careful layout makes things a lot easier later on.
Chain drilling the holes around the perimeter of the cutout.  I drilled 1/8” pilot holes then opened them up to 3/16”.  The pilot hole helped keep the drill from wandering into the adjacent hole.  Drilling every other hole then coming back to drill the one in between also seemed to help.
Chain drilling the holes around the perimeter of the cutout. I drilled 1/8” pilot holes then opened them up to 3/16”. The pilot hole helped keep the drill from wandering into the adjacent hole. Drilling every other hole then coming back to drill the one in between also seemed to help.
The plate ready to remove the centers.  I was able to cut through the webs left between the holes with a hack saw pretty easily.
The plate ready to remove the centers. I was able to cut through the webs left between the holes with a hack saw pretty easily.
Openings ready for endless filing.  I ended up using a die grinder then finishing the holes up with a file.  It still took a considerable amount of time.
Openings ready for endless filing. I ended up using a die grinder then finishing the holes up with a file. It still took a considerable amount of time.
Base plate mostly done.  I still have a couple of holes to drill and tap.
Base plate mostly done. I still have a couple of holes to drill and tap.
FLSTEAM

Post by FLSTEAM »

Never a better example of "where there is a will there is a way"...…...Nice work.

John B
jeanluc83

Post by jeanluc83 »

I thought I would post a bit of an update on my Clishay. Work slowed considerably over the summer. There were too many other things to do. I also picked up another project locomotive project. I’m building LBSC’s 2-1/2” gauge Rose. It is a really fun project but it is taking time away from the Clishay.

With the engine frame close to being done I’ve started work on the cylinder blocks.

I ended up machining the cylinders from round bar. The cheapest square bar big enough was north of $60 without shipping. I was able to find two pieces of 3-3/4” diameter by 2-1/2” long 1144 steel on ebay for ~$20 shipped.

It is a bit or extra work to square up the round bar but it is not too bad. I also find 1144 easier to machine than 1018.

To square things up I roughed the block out using a band saw then then faced each side off in the lathe. The only two faces that really need to be square to each other are the bottom and the valve face so I wasn’t too worried about the in accuracy of doing this work in the lathe.

I was able to get both blocks square and parallel within ~0.005”.

It took about 4 hours to get both blocks machined to size. About a third of that was rough cutting on the band saw. I cleaned up around the shop while waiting for each cut so I’m not sure if it really counts towards machining time. I think it was worth the ~$50 savings.
Clishay cylinders ready for boring
Clishay cylinders ready for boring
Clishay cylinders to cut
Clishay cylinders to cut
Roughing out Clishay cylinders
jeanluc83

Post by jeanluc83 »

I got the cylinders for my Clishay bored to size a couple of weeks ago. It was slow work on my 9” Logan. I really miss having access to a larger lathe. They still need to be honed and the valve ports need to be machined but the bulk material removal is done.

Rough drilling the bore with the biggest drill I have, 7/8
Rough drilling the bore with the biggest drill I have, 7/8
Cylinder boring setup
Cylinder boring setup
Both cylinders bored to size
Both cylinders bored to size
NP317

Post by NP317 »

A long boring process with that small diameter boring bar!
Persistence pays off.
RussN
jeanluc83

Post by jeanluc83 »

The boring wasn't too bad. It was one of those cases of using what you got. I was able to get a .010 cut without too much chatter and a straight bore.

The boring itself probably took about an hour and a half for each cylinder.
jeanluc83

Post by jeanluc83 »

More work done on the Clishay.

I got the steam chests silver soldered together. Not a hard job but I'm starting to get fed up with the Bernzomatic oxygen mapp gas torch. It is quite finicky and goes through oxygen too fast. One of these days I need to invest in a better torch.

I also tackled a drive chain problem I had on my Clishay build. The chain between rear truck and the counter shaft was just a bit too short. A new new truck support was made to correct the issue.

After doing some digging it looks like the plan dimension might be off. The calculated center to center distance per Machinery’s Handbook is 9-3/4” while the plan dimension is 9-13/16”. This would explain why the chains were short. In my case I think my countershaft is off location as well since the front chain worked but the rear was too short. Both the font and rear chains are even now.

Steam Chest ready for soldering
Steam Chest ready for soldering
Steam Chest after soldering. It was only clamped so I got a little bit of movement in the joints but noting that will cause problems.  Pinning the joints would have been better.
Steam Chest after soldering. It was only clamped so I got a little bit of movement in the joints but noting that will cause problems. Pinning the joints would have been better.
Soldered steam chests
Soldered steam chests
Fixing the drive chains
Fixing the drive chains
Things are starting to come along
Things are starting to come along
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

Looks interesting. Did the original plans call for built-up steam chests?
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
jeanluc83

Post by jeanluc83 »

They were built up on the original as well. The idea was that it could be built without a milling machine. It I had access to a bigger mill I might have considered making the steam chests from a solid piece.
jeanluc83

Post by jeanluc83 »

More progress on the steam chests for my Clishay. Hole layout was done by hand then drilled on a drill press. I still need to open up the mounting holes to full size. I'll do that after I match drill the cylinders and covers.

I have to say Bob Maynard really liked to cut things close. Not much meat left at the edges of the holes. There will be even less once drilled to full size.

It looks like I'm centered and shouldn't break through anywhere. At least I hope.

Clishay steam chests rough drilled
Clishay steam chests rough drilled