Another CliShay Build

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

jeanluc83

Another CliShay Build

Post by jeanluc83 »

I've been lurking for a couple of months now and figured I would finally post something.

This is a project that I started a bit over 20 years ago as a teenager. I worked on it on and off over the years but never really got back into it. I have finally settled down somewhere I can get a shop set up and hopefully finish it.

I was planning on a more ambitious build once I got the shop set up but after much debating I’ve decided to take up this old project again. It is fairly straight forward and it will give me a chance to get back up to speed. It has been about 10 years since I’ve done any real machine work so a bit of practice is in order. It will also be kind of neat to actually finish something that I started over 20 years ago.

The wheels and axels are complete as well as the frame. The trucks are about 50% done. It is a bit rusty from storage but I don’t anticipate needing to remake anything that is already done.

IMG_20190503_192704485_resize_5.jpg
IMG_20190503_193229673_resize_15.jpg

With everything else I have going on I’ll be happy if I can get the chassis and drive gear done by fall. Then I’ll tackle the engine next winter.

There are some design changes that I’ll likely make along the way but I’ll probably stick to the original as much as possible.

I have the original build series from Live Steam, is it worth getting the CliShay book as well? Is there any new information in the book or is it pretty much a reprint of the original series?
NP317

Re: Another CliShay Build

Post by NP317 »

Get the book.
I have both the original Live Steam magazines and the book. You will enjoy the convenience of the book.

With all those parts already built, it should be fun to finish your Clishay!
~RN
steamingon

Post by steamingon »

Alterations in design of the Clishay appeared in Modeltec magazine.

First was a design for a steel firetube boiler in March 19994

Second was a new engine with larger cylinders and geared 1:1 so it could "run with the big boys" in the June-July 2000 issue.
jeanluc83

Post by jeanluc83 »

Thanks for the info. I'll probably pick up the book. I already copied the articles and have them in a binder but it would be nice to have a bound book.

I'll have to look into getting those back issues of modeltec. A quick search on eBay turned up nothing. I may have to play the waiting game until they are listed.

I had already decided to go with a fire tube boiler. I don't have a problem designing my own but it would be nice to have an existing design to work off of.
Venturion

Post by Venturion »

I have tried to order the book "Build the Clishay" for more than a year. I live in South Africa and most of the companies don't ship to South Africa. I am desperately looking for book or other info, plans to build a Clishay.

Any assistance would be highly appreciated
jeanluc83

Post by jeanluc83 »

There is a seller on eBay with a few copies that you might try. South Africa isn't ispecifically listed in the list of places he won't ship to but it is a pretty big list.
jeanluc83

Post by jeanluc83 »

I’ve managed some progress.

I have the journal blocks just about done. I still have to fabricate and install the covers but I’ll probably wait until I have the side frames done so the covers are not damaged.

Progress has been slower than I would like but it is at least moving forward. I still hope to get it rolling by this fall.
IMG_20190816_141105302_resize_80.jpg
ChipsAhoy

Post by ChipsAhoy »

If one has the book, does that preclude the need for the Modeltec articles? Is the book a compilation of the articles? Was there more information in the articles subsequent to the books release? Is this the book "Building the CliShay" by Maynard?
Thx
Scotty
jeanluc83

Post by jeanluc83 »

ChipsAhoy wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:44 pm If one has the book, does that preclude the need for the Modeltec articles? Is the book a compilation of the articles? Was there more information in the articles subsequent to the books release? Is this the book "Building the CliShay" by Maynard?
Thx
Scotty
That is the book. I still haven't picked it up. So far the Live Steam articles have been sufficient. I may try to track down the Modeltec article on the redesigned boiler when I get to that point.
jeanluc83

Post by jeanluc83 »

Well it's fall and I don't have it rolling quite yet but I'm getting closer. I have all the truck supports done I just need to finish up the truck side frames. I have everything made I just need to get them pinned together and silver soldered.

Once I get it rolling I'll move on to the drive train. I've already finished up the countershaft supports. The pieces were made when I was in college so it is nice to get them finished up. I also have pretty much everything to start building the transmission.

For the most part everything that was already built was okay. The only error I've found so far is that my frame is about 1/8" narrow. It shouldn't effect too much of the build but I will have to rework the countershaft that was already made.

Once I get it on its wheels I'll post some pictures.
ChipsAhoy

Post by ChipsAhoy »

Are you making the boiler an 8" water-in-tube like Maynard did, or have you found an alternate?
Scotty
bill4227

Post by bill4227 »

steamingon wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 4:34 am Alterations in design of the Clishay appeared in Modeltec magazine.

First was a design for a steel firetube boiler in March 19994

Second was a new engine with larger cylinders and geared 1:1 so it could "run with the big boys" in the June-July 2000 issue.
I have a Clishay and the Modeltec issues. Has anyone used the Bertha engine as a replacement? If so do you have any pictures?

Bill