Another CliShay Build

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

jeanluc83

Re: Another CliShay Build

Post by jeanluc83 »

dakine wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:31 amLooks GREAT!
Thanks!

I'm not making the progress that I would like but I'm not putting in the time I would like either. It is really nice to look back in the build log to see how far things have come.
jeanluc83

Post by jeanluc83 »

I made some progress on the engine for my Clishay. The cylinders have been match drilled and all the holes have tapped. I still need to match drill from the bottom support.

Cylinders getting closer
Cylinders getting closer
Second cylinder drilled and tapped
Second cylinder drilled and tapped
Cylinders set up in my drill press to tap them to ensure the holes started straight.  This is the same method that Bob Maynard used on the original.
Cylinders set up in my drill press to tap them to ensure the holes started straight. This is the same method that Bob Maynard used on the original.
Match drilling one of the cylinders from the steam chest
Match drilling one of the cylinders from the steam chest
jeanluc83

Post by jeanluc83 »

Here is how things stand 2 years into the restart of the project. I was hoping to be farther along but over all I'm happy with the progress.

I should have the engine finished by this summer then I'll start on the boiler.

Everything I have done so far on my Clishay
Everything I have done so far on my Clishay
A view from the rear
A view from the rear
The engine as it currently stands
The engine as it currently stands
Where I started 2 years ago
Where I started 2 years ago
More of what I started with 2 years ago
More of what I started with 2 years ago
jeanluc83

Post by jeanluc83 »

All four of the truck side frames for my Clishay are finally done. I got the last one silver soldered over the weekend. I still need to finish cleaning up the last frame but I’m claiming victory.

The trucks were easy to build and can be built with limited tools but they were way too labor intensive. Between cutting, bending, fitting, pinning and silver soldering I would not be surprised if I had 30+ hours into each truck not including axles and wheels.

If I were to do it again I would either weld the side frames or have them water-jetted out of plate. The final product is okay but it does not justify the work involved.

The last side frame for my Clishay done!
The last side frame for my Clishay done!
Citric acid soak to remove the flux and clean things up.  It will stay in here for about 48 hrs.
Citric acid soak to remove the flux and clean things up. It will stay in here for about 48 hrs.
The side frame I finished a few weeks ago
The side frame I finished a few weeks ago
dakine

Post by dakine »

It has been a while since my last update. I used modified commercial trucks with roller bearings. Finally finished the transmission. I wasn't able to broach in the gear as shown above, so I decided to use Loctite as mentioned in the book, and put three 8-32 set screws in each gear. For the sprockets I milled a keyway in the shaft using a "milling attachment" for my Harbor freight 7X10 lathe. Next will be to start work in the Engine. The boilde is not really started. I purchase a new 2' section of pipe, had it cut at a welding shop to 12" and 6" and 6" I will have a 12" boiler, and a separate 6" fire box. (dry leg) I plan to use propane. 1/4" plates in boiler with 32 type K 1/2" copper tubes. Do not know how I will be able to roll the tubes but considering a tube expander as described in live steam.
Attachments
PLATFORM.jpg
BOTTOM.jpg
END.jpg
TRANS.jpg
GEAR BOX.jpg
TRUCK.jpg
dakine

Post by dakine »

Set screw in gear
Attachments
SET SCREW.jpg
jeanluc83

Post by jeanluc83 »

That looks great! At this rate you may get yours under steam before I do. The race is on!

I took a bit of a break from my build the last couple of weeks to work on building the MLA die filer. The plan is to get it done before I get started on the Clishay again. I would rather not have two projects going on at once.

I have made some progress. I decide to get my trucks painted since they are done.

Front truck all painted up
Front truck all painted up
dakine

Post by dakine »

The race is on!
I need to take a break also, i has sold my Electric train set, complete with trailer, etc. (photo attached) It sold real quick, I thought It would take 6mo - year.
So now - no train for the club track! So I ordered a Plum Cove GE - just to use at the club for 6-12 months while I finish the CliSahy. I have the 2" square x 12" CRS for the cylinders. and the material for the steam chest.
Attachments
Screenshot (443).png
dakine

Post by dakine »

As I said, ordered a Plum Cove GE - wow , was that a mistake! Never did get all the stuff I paid for. What JUNK. Working on my steamer.
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

I've heard only good things about the plum cove products, and have operated several of their box cab units, all of which performed flawlessly.