Converting a Coles 0-4-0 to a NG 0-4-4t

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

KidAmato

Converting a Coles 0-4-0 to a NG 0-4-4t

Post by KidAmato »

Hello all,
It’s been a WHILE since I’ve last been active on here. Took a couple year hiatus from the hobby. Had some “growing up” to do and get my life started in the aerospace world and all that kind of jazz. In recent times, my interest for the hobby has resurfaced in a whole new light which has been very encouraging. Working at an aerospace firm, I am blessed to have access to A LOT of machinery and connections for any form of fabrication. With that said, I will most likely not even use a fraction of it lol.

The point of this thread is to show another example of what can be done on a budget, with limited (in comparison to my good friend J. Bodenmann) craftsman skills, but not sacrifice any sort of quality or satisfaction with the end product.

Back tracking a bit, I grew up with the Narrow Gauge fever loving all 4 coupled tank engines, specifically forneys. After making a return to the hobby, I decided it was time to take on some creative projects that would fulfill my desire for NG equipment on my planned roster. You may recall that I started a “NG conversion” for a Kozo A3. Well, I am hopping back on that too! I shall be updating that in its corresponding thread shortly.

It just so happened that a Coles Power Models 0-4-0 projects surfaced on DLS. I was out of the country when I stumbled across it, but still contacted the owner and purchased it from the other side of our rock we call home. The reasons I bought it were the following: 1) walschaerts valve gear, 2) the wonderful compromise of 4.75” gauge, 3) the semi incomplete nature of the locomotive that would lend itself to extensive modification.

Looking at the drawings, there are several easy ways I can go about modifying the main frame, and accommodate an accompanying rear frame section with a working swing arm. To quickly explain the status of the project, it’s all over the place lol. Lots of tedious tasks have risen since I am essentially redesigning the entire locomotive minus the motion.

The main tasks I am tackling now are the rear frame section, swing arm design, and the boiler. All of these work with one another, so it has become semi daunting going back and forth. Lots of progress has been made thus far!

The boiler shell is being downsized from a 6” OD to a 5” OD. Reason for this is mainly aesthetics, but also cost! I am making up for the decreased boiler OD with a slightly elongated firebox and area over the crown sheet, all while retaining the wider firebox of the original 6” boiler. It will be very similar in design to that of an Allen Models Chloe boiler with the “slanted” firebox. Marty and I have been exchanging thoughts about how to go about it best, and we are looking between the “stock” boiler dimensions combined with the design of the Chloe boiler. Should have more updates on the boiler very soon in upcoming posts.

For the rear truck, I managed to do a little bit of cheating by calling up Lonnie at 1” RR. I ordered his 40 ton arch bar truck kit for 4.75” gauge, BUT I specifically requested the larger wheel option which came out stunning (as seen in pictures below). Just a fair warning, I am not going after a specific model here. It is very much a freelance locomotive respecting many practices from full size. This kit was super convenient and, I feel, shows one way a modeler can get away with creating something wonderful without having to fabricate every single piece from bar stock. I am using the godchaux 0-4-4t (currently Disneyland #3) as reference for the build. The plan is to make a cute 0-4-4t in 1.5” scale running on 4.75” gauge track. The trailing truck was thrown together in just a couple of hours at the shop.

I’ll further explain the build in upcoming posts. It’s time for this guy to take a break from typing and get back to R&D and machining.

Thanks for tuning in everyone! Got a lot of cool stuff coming up on the roster, so I hope this serves you as entertaining at the least.

Best Wishes,
Nico Amato
Attachments
Trailing truck
Trailing truck
Trailing truck and locomotive mocked up for the good ol’ modelers thumb out and one eye closed check.
Trailing truck and locomotive mocked up for the good ol’ modelers thumb out and one eye closed check.
Godchaux #1
Godchaux #1
Top: Godchaux #1 / Bottom: DLRR #3
Top: Godchaux #1 / Bottom: DLRR #3
7-1/2” gauge 5” scale 2-4-4t
7-1/2” gauge Fitchburg Northern
4-3/4” gauge 1.5” scale 0-4-4t
JBodenmann

Re: Converting a Coles 0-4-0 to a NG 0-4-4t

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Very cool project Nico. I always liked Forneys.
Jack
Adirondack

Post by Adirondack »

Great choice Nico. I always knew there was a plantation loco hiding in that 0-4-0.

ADK
Adirondack Car & Foundry
Check out our projects: https://www.facebook.com/ADKrail/
Visit our ALL-NEW online store: https://adirondackcarfoundry.square.site/

A little locomotive with 4 wheels on the track is a lot more fun
than a 1/2 finished one with 16 wheels on the bench!
KidAmato

Post by KidAmato »

Jack & ADK, thank you. I’m super excited about this one. For years I have always seen people finding their niche in the hobby when it comes to wheel configuration, class, firing fuel, etc. Finally finding mine (Forney type locomotives), has lit a new fire under my rear end. That and I love the concept of kitbashing. Coles did an excellent job designs the chassis, so it lends itself very well to what I have in mind for it.

Update on the little 0-4-4t:

As I mentioned in the previous post, I’ve been putting heavy emphasis in designing the rear frame section, swing arm, and boiler. I picked Mr. Bodenmann’s head for a while and then he comes at me with “you know, what’d be really neat (*my ears perk up*) would be some C-channel for the rear frame section. Would be a nice touch.” Now of course, I went on and did just that because I couldn’t agree more.

I’ve been asking around for rough dimensions of 3 foot gauge Forneys and the only thing that seems to be known is quite literally the measurements between flanges 😂. I searched far and wide with no luck, until I landed on Branchline Product’s website. I called up Jeff and he said the c-25 in 1.5” scale would be about 14” at the widest. The forney in full size would more than likely be smaller than the c-25, so I then referred to the Accucraft Ruby for dimension comparison. It models a 3 foot gauge forney. Sure enough, scale it up to 1.5” scale and you’ve got about 11.5” wide. The rest will be sticking my thumb out every now and then just to make sure it’s proportional.

More updates to come soon!

Best Wishes,
Nico Amato
Attachments
Cutting stock to length on bandsaw.
Cutting stock to length on bandsaw.
Making chips
Making chips
Voilà!
Voilà!
Fender

Post by Fender »

I’m sure someone can get you more dimension information for this locomotive. I’d guess the prototype cab is 84” wide and 48” long, and the rigid wheelbase is 48” (for example). 😇
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
Adirondack

Post by Adirondack »

Any updates?

ADK
Adirondack Car & Foundry
Check out our projects: https://www.facebook.com/ADKrail/
Visit our ALL-NEW online store: https://adirondackcarfoundry.square.site/

A little locomotive with 4 wheels on the track is a lot more fun
than a 1/2 finished one with 16 wheels on the bench!
KidAmato

Post by KidAmato »

Hello Friends,
Finally checking back in with you for a quick update on the little sugar engine. Had to wait on some materials to make a boiler mock-up. I’m referencing the original erection drawing (courtesy of Mr. Watson) from Baldwin LW for proportions. Funny enough, I’m actually taking a quick break from building it now to check in with y’all 🤪. Once I’m done with the mock-up, I’ll modify the main frame and finalize the rear frame section. Then the mock-up will be sent to Marty to make the working heart of this little critter.

Another thing I wanted to mention, although I am referencing the original Godchaux engine, it won’t necessarily be a carbon copy of it. There will he changes made to work with the chassis I started it on, and to improve functionality. For example, if I were the scale down the boiler 1/8 of the size as per what the print calls, I’d end up with an OD a little under but around 4” with a keyhole firebox. On the full size locomotive the main frame pieces run the full length (I believe), hence limiting the firebox width. I chose to circumvent this by making the rear frame section similar to that of an Allen Chloe to accommodate the swing mechanism for the trailing truck, and a wider firebox. So back to the dimensions on the little guy, I will be going with a 5” OD shell, and a straight sided firebox design. There are multiple reasons for choosing this;
1) Straight sided fireboxes were a common design.
2) Easier to fabricate (trying to make Marty’s life easier lol).
3) 5” OD seemless steel is available.
4) Locomotives such as the W.W.F.Ry #9 (formerly SRRL #5) had a larger boiler proportionally.
5) Makes for a freely steaming design and easier to hand over to my pals.
6) The original Coles 0-4-0 calls for a 6” OD boiler which clearly would be beyond oversized for this locomotive, but I had to keep it as close to that as possible for the sake of ensuring the boiler out performs what the cylinders will demand. My goal is to make sure this locomotive is enjoyable for years to come, not a hassle.

I’ve been having so much fun with this project and really can’t wait to see it come together. I’ll post some pictures of the little trinkets I’ve picked up for it along with the mock-up once I’m done with it.

Lots to do along with working on the other two locomotives 😁. Cheers!

Best Wishes,
Nico Amato
Fender

Post by Fender »

Kudos to you, Nico! One other thing we discussed, was that Godchaux owned several of these forneys, and one of them was modified to use Walshaerts valve gear. Years ago I discussed this with the retired superintendant of their railroad, and he gave me the book he used to design the new gear!
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
KidAmato

Post by KidAmato »

Hello Friends,
Another quickie today. I am not posting any pictures until this next phase of the build is complete; however, I have been making some chips little by little over these past few weeks. The rear frame section is almost done. The biggest challenge was designing it in such a way that the truck has plenty of room to dance around without hitting the frame, or interfering with clearance for the draw bar. Now it's a matter of pulling out the trusty ol' death wheel and welder to bring the original (main) frame together with the new rear section. It's all starting to come together nicely (no pun intended lol).

Also got some sweet little trinkets from my good ol' pal J. Bodenmann. CANNOT wait to show you guys what they will all look like on this little locomotive. Maybe I'll make that a part of the next update? Ha, too much fun. I'll be checking back in shortly. In the meantime, off to make some more chips!

N. Amato
KidAmato

Post by KidAmato »

Hello Friends,
Fast forwarding a year later, we've got an update! No, it's not regarding the pandemic... It's about the little ol' forney!

Over the past few months I've finally stabilized my work schedule, and allotted some personal time to get the locomotive project going again. As stated before, the biggest task to tackle was the rear frame extension and slide shift device for the trailing truck.

A few things happened:
1) The locomotive was stripped down to the main frame rails to chop off the original rear end on the mill.
2) The rear of the main frame was match drilled and tapped to the new end plate in which the rear frame extension will bolt up to.
3) The rear extension "c-channel" was re-machined to have a slight outwards taper and a small radius in the corners.
4) the rear extension was just welded up.

Here are the main and rear frame sections all bolted together.
frame sections bolted together.jpg

The next task will be to finalize the drawbar design and the centering aspect of the slide shift device. Once that's all wrapped up, it's time to work on the equalization and blah blah blah. Y'all know the rest.

Too much fun!

Best Wishes,
Nico Amato