3/4" Scale J1e

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Greg_Lewis

Re: 3/4" Scale J1e

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Jack:
With the eyeball method, how are you figuring in shrinkage on the castings?
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Thanks for contributing Steam Engine Dan. Your J1e is really cool. That fire door is definitely a Standard door. Thanks Bill, how about posting a photo of your door. Here is a bit more on the fire door. Today I started on the operating cylinder and it's crosshead guide. Here the cylinder base started out as a block of brass. A couple different round nose end mills were used. Then the cylinder its self was made and they were stuck together with soft solder.
Attachments
Door41.jpeg
Door42.jpeg
Door43.jpeg
Door44.jpeg
Door45.jpeg
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Help My Friends
I just saw Greg's question about shrinkage. On something like this it isn't an issue. For instance, the 5/16" bore of the cylinder is only going to shrink about .002". Here is some more progress on the fire door. To the right of the piston is a sort of crosshead guide which the crosshead slides in. This was cut out mainly with a 5/32" round nose end mill.
Attachments
Door46.jpeg
Door47.jpeg
Door49.jpeg
Door50.jpeg
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Here is the finished crosshead guide. And then a tiny little bit of tube. There are holes in the fire doors and the prototype had just plain holes without a raised lip. To me this just doesn't look right, they should have that detail. So these little bushings were made and set into recesses .070" deep. They are .090" tall, .115" OD. and the hole through the center is .079". I think they add a lot to the appearance. The oval around the lettering was made up from some half round that was made for some 1-1/2" scale cotter pins and the lettering is from a company in England. The prototype door had a lot more lettering. Patent information, casting numbers, and dates and such. I have some smaller lettering and I may add some, but not all that the prototype had. It still looks a bit plain and needs some clutter. The crosshead and it's link still needs to be made. Also the manual operating lever. The base plate also needs to be finished. In the past I have talked about if you make an incorrect mark you should remove it. I didn't follow my own advice and ended up cutting way too much off of the right side of the base. I hate it when that happens :oops: So some material will be stuck back on. I may also make the foot pedal that opens the prototype door but if I do it will be non functional. I hope to get this done and the molds made and then move on to something else. Maybe the booster and stoker engine. No shortage of things to do.
Jack
Attachments
Door52.jpeg
Door53.jpeg
Door55.jpeg
Door56.jpeg
Door57.jpeg
Steam Engine Dan

Post by Steam Engine Dan »

JBodenmann wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:10 am Here is the finished crosshead guide. And then a tiny little bit of tube. There are holes in the fire doors and the prototype had just plain holes without a raised lip. To me this just doesn't look right, they should have that detail. So these little bushings were made and set into recesses .070" deep. They are .090" tall, .115" OD. and the hole through the center is .079". I think they add a lot to the appearance. The oval around the lettering was made up from some half round that was made for some 1-1/2" scale cotter pins and the lettering is from a company in England. The prototype door had a lot more lettering. Patent information, casting numbers, and dates and such. I have some smaller lettering and I may add some, but not all that the prototype had. It still looks a bit plain and needs some clutter. The crosshead and it's link still needs to be made. Also the manual operating lever. The base plate also needs to be finished. In the past I have talked about if you make an incorrect mark you should remove it. I didn't follow my own advice and ended up cutting way too much off of the right side of the base. I hate it when that happens :oops: So some material will be stuck back on. I may also make the foot pedal that opens the prototype door but if I do it will be non functional. I hope to get this done and the molds made and then move on to something else. Maybe the booster and stoker engine. No shortage of things to do.
Jack
Attachments
15192753_10154095650293317_1943417567202931837_n.jpg
15192753_10154095650293317_1943417567202931837_n.jpg (9.86 KiB) Viewed 3729 times
NP317

Post by NP317 »

I continue to be amazed to see the pieces you create, and then remember that they are only patterns for molds for castings!
I don't have the mold making skills or access to lost-wax casting facilities. Or at least I've never pursued those capabilities.
Keep cutting...
RussN
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
First off, thanks again for the encouragement. Hey Dan, that photo of Jackie Gleason is a hoot. And thanks Russ. I am fortunate that my friend Brad showed me his mold making secrets. I also have an excellent foundry close by. Here is an update on the fire door. Some material was added to the sides of the base to correct my making it too small. Then a center for the rotary was made from 1/8" plywood. This allowed the work piece to be removed and then easy replaced on the rotary table. A 3/32" end mill was used to cut the slots for the mounting bolts. Then a 1/4" end mill was used to cut the recesses. It was then time to cut the outer perimeter of the base plate but it was late in the day and I was tired. I decided to head for my comfy chair and wait till morning to do this. I had already cut it too small once and didn't want to goof up again. :oops:
Happy model Building.
Attachments
Door58.jpeg
Door59.jpeg
Door60.jpeg
Door61.jpeg
Steam Engine Dan

Post by Steam Engine Dan »

me running from this past Saturday jack, ran 5344 for 9 1/2 hours on saturday. also attaching a couple of video links for you too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPdcy0zHl7c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OT1o-WUQp8
Attachments
196370824_3883131405069274_61830346032315871_n.jpg
Andy R

3/4" Scale Standard Fire Door

Post by Andy R »

Jack,
That Fire Door will also look great on my B&O P7d !
Make mine serial #2 please.
Regards,
Andy
FKreider

Post by FKreider »

Just for inspiration - here are the "small scale" butterfly fire doors that I have produced as investment castings. I originally designed them for my 3/4" Atlantic but they are also at home on many 1" engines. Mine are manual operation only - steam cylinder is just for looks - cant wait to see Jacks in operation!!
IMG_2631.JPG
IMG_5584.JPG
-Frank K.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Hi Andy, there is a fire door with your name on it in the works. F Kreider, that is a very fine fire door!
Jack
jeffsmith

Post by jeffsmith »

Yes, F Kreider that's a very nice looking fire box door. Jack, I am anxious to see how your door comes out. Are you thinking of offering them for sale?