3/4" Scale J1e

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

JBodenmann

Re: 3/4" Scale J1e

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Thank you Russ. Henry Ford supposedly said, "If you think you can, or can't, You're right"... Well this steam turret casing baloney has gone on long enough :roll: Here is the last part, the top door. It has to match the cab roof contour, so the cab roof angle iron former from before was used to form the downward lip at the front that the hinges will mount to. . A wood piece had to be made to hold it to the former. Then some annealed brass was clamped up and whomped down with the rawhide mallet. It was annealed a second time and whomped some more, to encourage it to snuggle up to the former.
Attachments
Casing60.jpeg
Casing61.jpeg
Casing62.jpeg
Casing63.jpeg
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Here we have the formed top door. It has to have a straight edge across the bottom of the downward lip for the hinges to work. The super glue dodge was used again to help with hinge fit up. These are #000 - 120 x 3/32" screws. These hinges were originally riveted on the prototype. In later years they were welded on, probably as a repair. And then the mostly completed turret casing. There is a piece at the back of the casing that fits over the cab and has a formed edge that ties in with the half round molding at the front of the cab roof. This piece won't get fastened down until the cab is finished. The next push will be to finish up the cab. The cab will have some cool details. The inside will get some tongue and groove siding. Do any of my friends out there know what color New York Central painted the inside of their cabs? There will also be wooden doors at the front of the cab with Prime Ventilator windows. There are rain gutters and guides to be added to the cab roof along with a gaggle of handrails and grab irons. The hand wheel and indicator assembly for the power reverse will be made also. The steam turret is still to be made. It will have control rods with universal joints into the cab like 5344's big sisters. Also a main shut off with a bow tie valve handle front and center. Too much fun.
Jack
Attachments
Casing64.jpeg
Casing65.jpeg
Casing66.jpeg
Andy R

Watching the School of Jack

Post by Andy R »

I always enjoy watching the School of Jack.
There is so much to learn and apply to my own projects!
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Thank you Andy. I really enjoy posting pictures of my work and a line of baloney to go with them. If any of it is helpful to other model builders that makes my day. Here are a couple snappies taken this morning just for fun. Nothing new but something to look at.
See you in the funny pages...
Attachments
GenView10.jpeg
GenView11.jpeg
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Same reason we climb mountains:
Because it's there.

Good on you.
RussN
Jordanleeds

Post by Jordanleeds »

This thread is invaluable I have just acquired a part built hudson to the friends design over here in the UK having previously known very little about the design I am amazed at the work being done
Steam Engine Dan

Post by Steam Engine Dan »

jack here are some pictures taken by a guest at our fall meet this past weekend, he was more glued to our locomotive than any other train we had running at NJLS. he is a professional photographer as well as a member of the NYCHS.

hope you like them. enjoy. :D :D

https://tools4fire.zenfolio.com/p445999445

Daniel
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Help My Friends
Been out of town for a couple weeks. Jim Kreider, Tom Lawson, and I went to Ohio to see 765 run, too much fun! We also visited a several live steam railways. I want to say hi, and welcome Jordanleeds to the group. Congratulations on picking up a Hudson chassis. They are fine locomotives, both the model and prototype. Also thanks to Dan for the contribution to this thread.
Jack
Last edited by JBodenmann on Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

the nyc hudsons are quite the iconic locomotive.

Does no one make 7.5 gauge castings for them at this point?
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
As far as I know there is no one making 1-1/2' scale New York Central Hudson castings. They were available but seem to have disappeared. John K at Yankee shops has 3/4" scale castings.
Jack
Last edited by JBodenmann on Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steam Engine Dan

back in the old days when calvin holt was starting my dads and the waushakum Hudson. the story I was told was that back then before mr holt got pinned by a K4 on a rolling stand. mr holt started or made 6 or 7 seven sets of castings. but only 2 out of the seven sets were ever produced, my dad's 5344 and the waushakum Hudson. the other 5 sets are lost to history. mr holt wanted to build 6 or seven hudsons for a worlds fair. but never made it that far

again that's what my dad and others have told me over the years. if anyone else can verify that would be great.
Steam Engine Dan

this is pat fahey's story The way the story goes Al Larson was going to construct a B&A Hudson, now Al worked at Worcester Poly Tech. what Al would do he would go over the B&A roundhouse in Worcester and use their blueprints on the B&A J-2 Hudsons.
From what I could find he did a few parts cast, and they were displayed during a New England Live Steam in Danvers.
Once the war came along Al came back from, he either lost interest in Building the B&A Hudson, something happened. Now, this is where in acquired the ( 2) rolling chassis from Calvin Holt estate.
One of the Chassis was sold to Lester Frend, of Friends Models, and the other was sold to a person in New Jersey. Lester Frend completed the now known Joytown Hudson, that is now owned by the Waushakum Live Steamers.
The second Chassis was also completed and now running at the New jersey Live Steamers track, Offhand I forget the person who now owns it. I hope this answers your question Pat