3/4" Scale J1e

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

sabin

Re: 3/4" Scale J1e

Post by sabin »

From Penny, wife of train enthusiast. Your post Jack made me think of Psalm 16:5-6. Lord, you have assigned me my portion and my cup; you have made my lot secure. The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Organization is important. Labelling doobisse's, and putting things in containers will save a lot of head scratching in the future. Having a place for everything is good, but only if things get put back where they belong. I will sometimes absent mindedly put things away in the wrong place, as I'm thinking about what I will do next, instead of thinking about what I'm doing now. I hate it when that happens🤪.
Here is some more brake rigging baloney. In this drawing you can see that there are hangers hanging down that support the brake lever and equalizers. They bolt to bosses on the cast steel frame.
Tender73.jpg
I decided to make the cast on bosses out of aluminum as it accepts JB weld quite well.
Here a length of aluminum has been sized and precisely marked out with our old friend the fine point sharpie.
Tender74.jpeg
Here the center has been hogged out with a 3/8" end mill.
Tender75.jpeg
Now the work piece has been put in the angle vise, and kicked over 10 degrees. It is being zoomed with a 3/16" diameter round nose cutter.
Tender76.jpeg
Last edited by JBodenmann on Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Here one side has been zoomed. Now to do the other side.
Tender77.jpeg
Here is a gaggle of the mounting brackets. They were nipped off using the band saw. Then faced with the mill. The angled part was just done using the disc sander. Them little buggers get might hot, mighty quick when using the disc sander. The two on the right have been metal finished. Notice how much better they look. Sandpaper, a flat file, and a small oval shaped file were used for this. Then they were zoomed using the jewelers buffer.
Tender78.jpeg
Here is a gaggle of the mounts. Two different sizes. Even though they are underneath the tender and won't be very visible, metal finishing is still important. A model is only as good as its weakest point.
Tender79.jpeg
And now we have the mounts just set on the tender frame about where they will go. They will be carefully positioned and and their locations marked. Then the holes for the mounting screws will be drilled through the frame. The mounts will then be stuck down with JB weld. After the JB weld sets up the holes in the frame will be spotted through into the mounts. Then they will be tapped #2-56 and the screws installed. Even though there isn't much stress on the mounts, I wanted the screws in addition to the epoxy. The hangers will be made later along with the brake rigging.
Tender80.jpeg
The next thing will probably be new journal boxes. These will be needed for the tender trucks and also the trailing truck on the engine. The ones that came with the engine are hideous lumps. I want some with cool little spring loaded lids. The journal boxes will all have half brass bearings.
See You In The Funny Pages...
Jack
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Doobii?
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Doobii, isn't that a place in the Middle East ?
Jack
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Dubai

Been there ..done that....no desire to repeat
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Harold_V wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:55 am I use a lot of those plastic peanut butter bottles/jars for storage of all kinds. They come in various sizes, and they're tough and oil resistant, making them a real nice storage container that allows one to see the contents, all the while keeping them clean and free from any potential rust.

It's really a good idea to mark a fixture so you know what it's for when you bump in to it in the future. Something as simple as a magic marker or even a vibrating pencil works just fine. If you prefer to guild the lily, permanent stamping is nice, too. If you're anything like I am, when I'm finished with a project I don't really remember the fine details, so I may or may not even know I have a fixture for a given purpose. I used to do that when I built tooling for customers, which often required a special jig or fixture to complete the tool in question.

H

Now Harold. Seriously. You expect too much. As Calvin once said, "I've got plenty of common sense. I just choose not to use it."

Sandiapaul wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:26 am Having the Doobis...I pretty much have the shop of my dreams now. However I'm missing one thing, the time to use the dobbis'.

Retirement is an illusion. I sometimes think I should go back to work so I'll have more time.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Greg makes some good points. I tend to go with the Calvin school of thought :lol: Also, Moe ,Larry, and Curly we're instrumental in my formative years. But back to reality. The positions for the hanger mounts were marked out and then drilled as we have in this first photo. The masking tape is to line them up for marking. The fine point Sharpie was used for this. Then the holes were marked, center punched and drilled. They were clear drilled for #2-56.
Tender81.jpeg
Tender82.jpeg
Here the mounts have been JB welded in place. After the JB weld sets up I will spot the holes from the other side of the tender frame into the mounts. They will then get tap drilled and tapped. Then the #2-56 x 1/4" screws will be put in.
Tender84.jpeg
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

The tender frame will have to sit for a while so I thought I would start the new axle boxes. A good place to start is with a lump of brass. There is a journal box in there. No, really! I'll just remove everything that doesn't look like a journal box. Actually it's remove some, stick some on.
Tender85.jpeg

Here the cavity has been cut for the axle and half brass, also the recess for the back. The backs will be held on with small flathead screws.
Tender86.jpeg
Here the round bottom piece has been added. It is round at the bottom and square at the top. The radius was marked with a Sharpie and then zoomed with the disc sander. The square part is the bit that the door will fit on.
Tender87.jpeg
Here the square opening for the door is being cut using the angle vise.
Tender88.jpeg
Here is as far as progress progressed today. Starting to look like an axle box. Next the lid. It will have a small leaf spring to snap it closed or open. There are several different lid styles and I haven't really decided which to make. There will also be a pocket on top for the spring rigging to drop into. This is an oddly shaped part. Some shaping was done with the disc sander, but most of the rounded end is just files and sandpaper. I'm not quite happy with the rounded end. It still needs some shaping. This will be a master from which to make a mold. Then it will be a snap to make twelve of them.
Tender89.jpeg
No shortage of things to do.
Jack
Andy R

underframe details on the 3/4" Scale J1e

Post by Andy R »

Jack,
At car shows, the guys with particularly nice underbody detais place mirrors on the ground so that us tall guys can admire without having to get on our hands and knees.
At train meets/shows a mirror underneath the Hudson and its tender will be, as they say in the car business, "Bitchin!"
It is all looking good, my friend.
Regards,
Andy
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My friends
Thank you Andy. I had a very cool childhood friend, who, unfortunately is no longer with us. My friend Glenn. If something was really the most, he would say that it was, "Eww la wee".
Jack
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Here is a little trinket that arrived from the foundry the other day. This is a running board support. It fits to the side of the boiler, near the front of the fire box. There is one on each side of the boiler. The top curved bit, and the flat part above the two mounting holes will be cut off. This part that gets cut off, was just to feed metal during the casting process. There are five curved recesses. The three across the top are for 5/32" piping. The large cut out by my thumb is 1/4", and is for the large steam pipe to the booster. The smaller recess below is for the Stoker exhaust pipe. On my model this is actually an injector delivery pipe, and the stoker reversing valve will hide the check valve. Remember there is an injector hidden in the stoker engine.
Run.Bd.jpeg
Having fun here. So much to do, like a kid in a candy store.
Jack