3/4" Scale J1e

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Steam Engine Dan

Re: 3/4" Scale J1e

Post by Steam Engine Dan »

JBodenmann wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:48 am Help My Friends
Thanks Dan. The waxes are at the foundry being cast in bronze. This foundry is really good, and his turn around time is usually less than two weeks.
Jack
that's fantastic jack, I can't wait to see more
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Help My Friends
Thanks Dan, I can't wait to see them too. I use a small foundry in Pinedale California. It's Valley Brass And Bronze. They only provide investment casting. And while we're on the subject of investment casting, here some tiny masters for hinges, and hasps. These will be needed for the full width turret casing. Probably also for the tender tank. The holes for the mounting screws are for #000-120 flathead screws. The hinge pins are .030". This is actually quite oversize as in 3/4" scale this is 1/2". These hinges would probably not have had 1/2" pins. The barrels that these pins fit through are 1/16" brass tube. Also very much oversize. I thought about making some smaller tube as it's only 3/16" long, but these little rascals are going to be delicate enough. They should be just fine. Sometimes I find it amazing that things this small will cast as nicely as they do. My 1-1/2" scale hinges and hasps have the same size barrels. These are some of the molds that were just made. Believe it or not these masters were almost too small for the #000-120 screws. I made the hinge body's to scale and then realized the screw heads might not fit. But they just barely did. A tiny countersink had to be made to clear the hasp clip. Just a small drill bit that was re ground. I find myself wearing the good Ol' optivisor a lot these days.
See You In The Funny Pages...
Jack
Attachments
Hinge.jpeg
Hasp .jpeg
Last edited by JBodenmann on Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brian Hilgert

Post by Brian Hilgert »

Holy cows. You are on a whole nother level.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

I salute you!
How ironic that as we age, the BIG trains become more difficult to physically manage,
while our SMALLER trains become so much more difficult to even see!
And yet, we persist.
RussN
Steamer Al

Post by Steamer Al »

Thanks for sharing your build! Its absolutley fascinating and very motivating. Every post keeps getting better and better!!
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

Wow!
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Thank you all very much for your compliments. I truly appreciate them. I really enjoy making little baloney like this. When making the little hinges it was definitely optivisor time. NP317 is absolutely correct. I sold my Number 9 because it was just too big. It weighed close to a ton. I have always liked 3/4" scale, it's just a hoot to build in. Nothing has been happening on the little Hudson lately as I have been working on revenue projects. Keeping the wolves off my doorstep and such. The rest of the week and probably next week will be working on a development project of mine. Something very, cool but I won't be divulging what it is until the first prototype is finished and tested. That is, until the fire door castings arrive :D Then it's playtime.
See you in the funny pages...
Jack
Last edited by JBodenmann on Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
I went to the post office tonight, and waiting there was a small box of locomotive jewelry. As they say, good things come in small packages. Here are some if the things that were in the box. Three sets of fire door castings. I will be playing in the shop this weekend, putting one of these little rascals together. Too much fun. I can't wait to stick one to the back head of the J1e. There was also some other very cool little trinkets that I will be showing you soon. Something that most modern steam had scattered around. The Nickel Plate Berks had a gaggle of them. But you will have to wait a bit to see :D
Jack
Attachments
Fire Door!.jpeg
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Drool...
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Ooooh. Jewelry!
RussN
Steam Engine Dan

Post by Steam Engine Dan »

JBodenmann wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:46 pm Hello My Friends
I went to the post office tonight, and waiting there was a small box of locomotive jewelry. As they say, good things come in small packages. Here are some if the things that were in the box. Three sets of fire door castings. I will be playing in the shop this weekend, putting one of these little rascals together. Too much fun. I can't wait to stick one to the back head of the J1e. There was also some other very cool little trinkets that I will be showing you soon. Something that most modern steam had scattered around. The Nickel Plate Berks had a gaggle of them. But you will have to wait a bit to see :D
Jack
[/quote
Attachments
15192753_10154095650293317_1943417567202931837_n.jpg
15192753_10154095650293317_1943417567202931837_n.jpg (9.86 KiB) Viewed 4322 times
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Thank you Bill, NP317, and Dan. Today was one of them days when the planets lined up and most everything went well. That doesn't mean to say the little fire door didn't have me using Navy language a time or two. I called this little guy a rascal, and that is a pretty good term. There were some little pins to make for the door and manual lever pivots. These pins were .092 steel, and had had the "big" cotter pins, .020". So they required a #68 drill. In the top photo there is a simple drilling fixture that was used to drill the pins. First, a tiny center drill, change to the drill bit and drill the holes. Then the holes get chamfered to help the cotter pin find it's way later on. Next we have one of the pins for the clevis' that make it all work. This pin is .062" diameter, with a .125" x .020 head. This cotter pin is one of the "small" ones, .015". A #72 drill was used to make the hole. All these pins were made with L something or other leaded stock. Very nice stuff to work with. The last photo here shows the cotter pins .015", and .020". The difference is apparent and the small one scales out to a quarter inch. The big one scales out to over five sixteenths. Both are very oversize...but they will just have to do. :)
Attachments
Door74.jpeg
Door75.jpeg
75A.jpeg