3/4" Scale J1e

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

JBodenmann

Re: 3/4" Scale J1e

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Thanks Jeff. Yes they will be for sale, along with most of the parts that have been developed for the New York Central J1e. Several things were worked on today, mainly the piston and crosshead. This is a fiddly little rascal that so far I have just about figured out. No pictures of it yet. But here is a little on finish work. The top two photos we have here show where the pivot, and levers at the top of the fire doors has been put together. As these are masters and not actual parts, they have been stuck together with silver solder, soft solder, and super glue. Silver solder containing cadmium has wonderful properties of flow and filleting that are helpful on parts like this. Soft solder does too. But super glue is a different story. It is hard to control filleting as you can see here in the top two photos. There are visible cracks and gaps where parts have been joined. This can be fixed with sandable spray can primer. Some is sprayed into a small paper cup or bottle cap. Then a tooth pick can be used to dab it here and there. Capillary action can also be used to lay filets in corners. Small pits and voids can also be filled. Often it will be applied and let dry several time before it's built up enough. These methods can also be used on actual castings for cosmetic reasons. Filling voids, small pits, and such.
Attachments
Door62.jpeg
Door63.jpeg
Door65.jpeg
Door66.jpeg
Last edited by JBodenmann on Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Here we have the primer after drying, and ready for smoothing out. In the third photo things have been sanded and worked over with some needle files. Then it was given a another coat of self etch primer, the dark green stuff, and then a coat of sandable primer. All from rattle cans. In the bottom photo you can see the doors still need a little work. The filet between the oval made of half round, and the door surface is a bit rough. It will be carefully sanded and filed, and then given another shot of primer. Once all is looking good, the lettering will be put on, and then given some more primer. In addition the the STANDARD, lettering, I may add additional lettering but I'm not sure yet. Having Fun Here.
Jack
Attachments
Door67.jpeg
Door68.jpeg
Door69.jpeg
Door70.jpeg
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Somewhere I learned a trick for getting paint out of a rattle can. Get some of the large diameter drinking straws sort of like what they'd use for thick shakes. Hold one up to the nozzle and spray through the straw. The spray dissipates and the paint runs out the other end and into your cup. I use this when I need a little bit for the airbrush, which gives me much more control than the rattle can. Works great.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Jack: a trick with super glue i have used with model airplanes.

Use the thick (or very thick) stuff and dab it in / smear it to where you want.

When you have it the way you want -> sprinkle on some baking soda...it will set up immediately.

You can build it up to make fillets as well as stick things together.

Suggest you experiment a bit since once you add the soda it sets up quickly.-> as in immediately..

Another filler is Alvin Lab Metal. I like it because it can be used as a fillet and will resist the temps required to fuse powder coat.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Help My Friends
Thanks Greg and Bill for the tips concerning the straw, baking soda and super glue. I'l be trying them both. Yesterday was spent trying to get the masters completed so the molds could be made, but I didn't quite get them finished. There are still two masters to be made One link that connects the piston and crosshead to the left door. There is also the manual operating handle casting. This is an odd little fellow, and first thing in the morning when my brain is firing on both brain cells is the time to make that. Yesterday the piston-crosshead was made. This was a bit of a puzzle and it took two tries to get that one made. That is here in the top photo. The round bit to the left is only for holding so the piston which is the slightly larger ring can be turned to size. A 1/16" rod will project from the boss on the right hand end. This will slide in the crosshead guide that you can see in the lower photo. It's the bare brass part on the right. The plan is to finish the last two parts today and pour rubber for the molds. Then tomorrow the molds can be opened and I can start shooting waxes. At least that's the plan. :D
See You In The Funny Pages...
Jack
Attachments
Door71.jpeg
Door72.jpeg
Steam Engine Dan

Post by Steam Engine Dan »

JBodenmann wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:27 am Help My Friends
Thanks Greg and Bill for the tips concerning the straw, baking soda and super glue. I'l be trying them both. Yesterday was spent trying to get the masters completed so the molds could be made, but I didn't quite get them finished. There are still two masters to be made One link that connects the piston and crosshead to the left door. There is also the manual operating handle casting. This is an odd little fellow, and first thing in the morning when my brain is firing on both brain cells is the time to make that. Yesterday the piston-crosshead was made. This was a bit of a puzzle and it took two tries to get that one made. That is here in the top photo. The round bit to the left is only for holding so the piston which is the slightly larger ring can be turned to size. A 1/16" rod will project from the boss on the right hand end. This will slide in the crosshead guide that you can see in the lower photo. It's the bare brass part on the right. The plan is to finish the last two parts today and pour rubber for the molds. Then tomorrow the molds can be opened and I can start shooting waxes. At least that's the plan. :D
See You In The Funny Pages...
Jack
forgive me for drooling jack, I just can't help it :D
Attachments
hqdefault815NMMOI.jpg
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Thanks Dan. Here is the last part for the fire door. It holds the manual operating handle and the cam on the bottom engages the piston-crosshead. This is another one that took two tries to make. Now it's time to make molds and shoot waxes. Up next will be either the stoker, or booster engine. I have made stoker engines before but the booster is something new. Both will be non functional. I have a great set of prototype drawings for the booster that a friend gave me. It should be another fun puzzle.
Jack
Attachments
Door73.jpeg
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

i put a working BvB duplex pump under the cab...modified to lie flat.

looks like a stoker engine...sort of....
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Had a busy couple O' days. Finished the molds for the fire door, and a few other little trinkets I'll be revealing soon. Here are some fire door waxes. The plan is to put at least two doors together, so enough waxes were made for three. Things don't always go precisely as planned. :roll: These waxes are straight out of the molds and haven't been cleaned. You can see little strings sticking out here and there. These are where vents in the molds were made. These little strings must all be cleaned off and smoothed. Parting lines sometimes need a bit of attention. Some times these little strings snap off the wax, and remain in the mold. After pulling the wax from the mold the mold must then be cleaned. This means checking all the vents and making sure they are clear. Replacing pull cores in the molds and re assembling them. These molds are not hard tooling. They are a reinforced silicone mold. My friend that taught me his mold making secrets asked that I never divulge them. So that's about all I can say about the molds. The waxes went in the mail to the foundry this morning so I will have the castings soon. I can't wait to actually put a fire door together and stick it to the back head of the little J1e. Too Much Fun
Jack
Attachments
Door74.jpeg
Steam Engine Dan

Post by Steam Engine Dan »

:D the plastic molds look great jack!
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Help My Friends
Thanks Dan. The waxes are at the foundry being cast in bronze. This foundry is really good, and his turn around time is usually less than two weeks.
Jack
SF2900

Post by SF2900 »

If you dont mind me asking, what foundry do you use for for parts?