3/4" Scale J1e

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Harold_V

Re: 3/4" Scale J1e

Post by Harold_V »

What Jack said. That's particularly important with saw blades. Once a blade cuts steel, it rarely will cut copper alloys successfully. My experience leans towards the blade losing the ability to make a straight cut, if it will cut at all. I've experienced used blades simply skipping over the area in contact with the material. An excellent example of why copper alloys are used for bearings.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

I have red handles on my files...mostly from blood... :mrgreen:
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Bill Shields wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:45 pm I have red handles on my files...mostly from blood... :mrgreen:

Some of you will remember my previous avitar:
866.jpg
866.jpg (6.38 KiB) Viewed 2740 times
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Blood...I am sure you have heard the term, Blood Sweat And Tears. That's not just the name of a band from the seventies. It can literally apply to what we do. Hopefully more sweat than blood. The tears, not so much. But blood in MY shop...I like cloth band aids. :D
Jack
Last edited by JBodenmann on Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steam Engine Dan

Post by Steam Engine Dan »

JBodenmann wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:05 am Hello My Friends
Thanks Mountaineer. That hold down was made just yesterday. All the others were too large. This one had to fit between the bolt holes. Usually they are crudely made in a mad rush, I took my time and did a nice job on this one. Something new, the other end is unfinished in case something special is needed in the future.
Thank you also to Greg, tiny end mills require a gentle touch. I don't recall breaking any new ones. Usually tiny end mills work fine and don't break if they are new and sharp, which this one is. All my end mills start out as brass end mills, in the brass end mill drawers. After they get a bit dull they go into the steel end mill drawers. The milling machine was wound up as fast as it would go, 4200 I believe. Then light cuts were taken. The material to be cut was .040" thick and two passes were made. Easy peasy. Brand new end mills and free machining brass is a wonderful combination. :D
Here is a photo and a drawing. I thought you might like a better look at a low water alarm. This is an oddly shaped little fellow. That's why some PVC plastic was used for the odd shaped part as it's much easier to shape than brass. Today some sandable primer will be shot on and filling and smoothing will start. I will probably have a go at the little valve handle too. These valve handles will come in handy later on. No shortage of things to do.
Jack
jack, question those B&W barco ad's look like they came from a book or magazine? could you tell me where you got them from? a good friend of ours who is now passed on sadly once told my dad and I that to his knowledge there were no drawings or prints for the barco anywhere. excellent work as always.
little giant

Post by little giant »

This is a drawing that I have, it may help you out.
Attachments
16348675176927311204858104866016.jpg
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Thanks for the drawing Little Giant. Here is a some progress on the Barco alarm. The first warning whistle was too small so a larger one was made. You can see both in the top photo. Also some bosses that will be glued to the main body. The round valve handle is for the 1-1/2" scale Barco alarm. A smaller one will be made for the 3/4" scale alarm. The main body has had some filler added and then some sanding. Still a few more pieces to make.
Jack
Attachments
Barco22.jpeg
Barco23.jpeg
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Can it be used to warn of warm beer?
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
I like to test for warm beer by drinking it. If it's warm, and its still good,it's probably Guiness. If it's not too good, it's probably Coors. :D
See you in the funny pages...
Jack
Mountaineer

Post by Mountaineer »

Coors is beer?

From the comfort of Canadian microbrewery land ;-)

Mountaineer

(Couldn’t resist…)
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Drink a Coors and it soon becomes obvious that you are only renting it...

If the beer is warm, I'm in the UK having a wonderful time.
RussN
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Here is a valve handle for a 1-1/2" scale Barco alarm. It is .290" in diameter. A smaller handle will be needed for the 3/4" scale water alarm. For starters I will have a go at making a .250" handle. This will still be oversize, so if things work out a try at a smaller one will be made. Probably .210" diameter. Then to have a look, probably still oversize but it will have to do. Much of this will be done using the rotary table. I have had this brand new 5" diameter three jaw chuck for years still in the box. The plan was always to fit it to the rotary table. So a locating plug was made, and some funny offset hold downs. The rotary table has four T slots and the chuck has three points to hold it down. Then a length of 1/4" brass was chucked. Tomorrow morning the whittling will begin. Let's see...machine away everything that doesn't look like a valve handle :lol:
Jack
Attachments
Barco25.jpeg
Barco26.jpeg
Barco27.jpeg