3/4" Scale J1e

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Steam Engine Dan

Re: 3/4" Scale J1e

Post by Steam Engine Dan »

5344's real standard doors with her original stoker. so actually you are on the money. you gonna add dummy stoker cab controls like the ones shown here? this was taken by karl kantola himself.
Attachments
143057213_10157888829688317_2156488430187991521_n.jpg
jeffsmith

Post by jeffsmith »

Hello Jack,
I have these Sargent water glass castings available. They are 1-1/4" tall at main body, and take a 8mm diameter glass.
DSC00379.JPG
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Thank you Andy, and Dan. Cool photos Dan. I haven't seen that cab photo before. I will most likely model the coal elevator. I have been thinking about the five coal distribution jet valves but just don't know. They are a very prominent detail in the cab, but I kinda don't like dummy cab controls. Well like I said, I'm thinking about them. The good thing is that they can be added anytime. Jeff that is a very cool water glass casting. I will most likely be needing a couple of them. Eight millimeter glass is just right.
Jack
Steam Engine Dan

you're welcome jack, oh here is a new video taken about 6 years ago with me on the point of this big tripleheader. for the most part im doing all the work with 5344.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FR1MPtA2mU
Asteamhead

Re: enough room for a couple water glasses

Post by Asteamhead »

Andy R wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:52 pm Yes, It appears that there is room if the glass is mounted in front of the doors (not really in front, but further away from the backhead so the doors clear when open) and the bottom fitting is below the arc scribed by the bottom of the door.
Hello Jack,
Your Standard firedor looks just wonderful 8) , congratulation!
Asteamhead
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Thank you Dan and Asteamhead. I am ready pleased with how the door finished up. I don't know what to make next. Probably finish up the turret casing now that the hinges and hasps are on hand.
Jack
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Help My Friends
I haven't really been spending time with the little Hudson much lately. I've been working on some projects like the octagon pipe fittings and such. But here are some tiny hinges and hasps' that were recently put together for the Hudson. These were some really nice investment castings that came from the foundry. I made the masters and molds a while back. Even though they are good castings they are still a fiddle to put together. They needed some mild clean up and the bores for the pins were chased with a .032" drill. Some need a bit of attention with a file to clean up the slots in the barrels. These slots are .020". I only have one file that will fit in these slots. It is a knife edge file for sharpening a Japanese pull saw for dovetail work and such. Some fit together perfectly without any filing. Some just need the slightest touch.
Attachments
Hinge2.jpeg
Hinge3.jpeg
Hinge4.jpeg
Hinge8.jpeg
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Here the holes for the mounting screws are being chased. And another test fit, pretty good. Now that the drilling , filing, and buffing is done, the casting sprue can be nipped off. They make a great handle on tiny parts like this. The pins can now be pushed in, and the ends ever so slightly peened to keep them in place. Lastly we have our little gaggle O' hinges and hasp's ready for the full width turret casing. There are several doors, each with two hinges and two hasp's. Each hasp has a tiny hook and chain. Too much fun!
Jack
Attachments
Hinge12.jpeg
Hinge15.jpeg
Hinge18.jpeg
Hinge20.jpeg
Steam Engine Dan

what are the hinges for jack?
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Dan asked about the hinges. These will be used on the full width turret casing, also the little hasps. Later on some will be used on the tender tank. I'm hoping to get back to the Hudson soon.
Jack
Steam Engine Dan

:D cool
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
I haven't done much on the J1e lately as I have been busy with other things. But I hope to make some progress this week. Here is one of two ultra cool water glass castings that Jeff Smith sent me. I love the tiny lettering. I will be fitting up two of these little rascals to the back head of 5344. I just ordered some 7MM borosilicate glass tube from Mc Master and it should be here tomorrow. Years ago one of my mentors showed me how to make special teflon cup washers for the ends of the glass. I will probably have a go at making some 5/32" globe valves for the top and bottom connections. This is something I have wanted to make for some time, as both 5/32", and 1/8" globe valves seem to be as scarce as hens teeth these days.
I may get tired...but I never get bored.
Jack
Attachments
Water Glass.jpeg