Building a Veranda

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Broken Knuckle

Re: Building a Veranda

Post by Broken Knuckle »

I did finish the ceiling before I moved anything in. Nine LED bay lites with adjustable color and brightness. It's taped and textured now. After I paint, I'll trim them with molding and a grill.
20190529_192649.jpg
I'm retired now. If it's not fun, I'm not gonna do it. :mrgreen:
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

New shop and new toys/tools to go in it, awesome!
Broken Knuckle

Post by Broken Knuckle »

It's time to start building the type "B" trucks for under the Veranda. The shop is done enough that I can work in it. I scaled out the drawings I found on the internet and found some good photos. Going to start making the patterns for casting to some what scale. Tomorrow I'll cut them out.
Attachments
20201228_084950.jpg
20201229_084445.jpg
A&M-AAR-B-truck-Springdale.jpg
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Old world drawing. I relate, and love it!
Where are you located, just for fun?
RussN
Broken Knuckle

Post by Broken Knuckle »

NP317 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:10 pm Old world drawing. I relate, and love it!
Where are you located, just for fun?
RussN
I live in Oregon most of the time. Sometimes old school is the best way to go about it. There are some slight changes I want to work in to my design. The journal boxes are going to be a bit larger so I can run a self aligning roller bearing and the legs are wider for strength. Also the spring pads are a little larger to fit stock 1.125" springs. I haven't decided if I'm going to cast in the brake cylinder bracket or bolt it on later. I still haven't cut these out yet. I typed out the G-code and will let my little Taig mill cut it out in 3D. Then I'll have to take the mill all apart and clean it. Seems the wife's New Years resolution was for me to do some more work around the house. Maybe next week I'll get the pattern cut out.
Broken Knuckle

Post by Broken Knuckle »

Some sanding along with rolling the edges and the top pattern will be done. After casting there will be some machining to do. I'll show those when I get the castings up on the mill. The next two patterns will be the leaf spring and some mounting points for the back of the top pattern. The little mill did a nice job and only locked out once. I think it just lost count. LOL :mrgreen:
Attachments
20210106_132746.jpg
20210106_132734.jpg
20210106_150406.jpg
20210106_150427.jpg
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Pretty piece of wood work, but I don't know that I see any draft included. Has it been provided, and, if so, how?

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Broken Knuckle

Post by Broken Knuckle »

Harold_V wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:37 am Pretty piece of wood work, but I don't know that I see any draft included. Has it been provided, and, if so, how?

H
I will sand some draft into it. You can't see it in the pictures but. I precut draft where the pattern is 1.1221 thick. The rest is just quicker to touch it off. Not going to need much.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Thanks! :wink:

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Broken Knuckle

Post by Broken Knuckle »

Things have been slow on the Veranda and there has been a good reason. One, I had to build a shop and two, I bought a mogul from long time locomotive builder Roger Netz, sold to me by Babe. John Mueller helped me go through his shop and find as many pieces to it as we could. Roger and his Dad started it in 1963 but, never finished it. The tender was finished but the loco was in parts. Now that I have all the parts put together, I'll break it down, paint the parts and put it back together. I have run it on air. I'm trying to put it together just like they would of. I've had to make a few parts like the roof for the cab and the running boards. Most everything was there. I've never built or planned to own a steam locomotive but, it just happened. No drinking involved. There is enough Mogul threads on here so this is my limit. I need to make a longer work table because the Veranda won't fit on this one. Headed to Train Mountain for the summer next month. Will get back to my two projects in the fall. :mrgreen:

20210414_150305.jpg
20210414_150313.jpg
20210414_150326.jpg
20210414_150342.jpg
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

Very nice "distraction", and that's cool you have something to go play with at TM now.
It looks like, by the G-code, your little CNC mill has no Z-axis, so you are limited to 2D parts correct?
It's no biggie though, as you said you are milling wood to be used as casting patterns so you can sand in all the draft you want.
Broken Knuckle

Post by Broken Knuckle »

rkcarguy wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:57 pm Very nice "distraction", and that's cool you have something to go play with at TM now.
It looks like, by the G-code, your little CNC mill has no Z-axis, so you are limited to 2D parts correct?
It's no biggie though, as you said you are milling wood to be used as casting patterns so you can sand in all the draft you want.
It's a Taig 4 axis micro mill. Fun machine with a very short learning curve. Because I hand write my own G-code for small projects and I like doing it, there is no need to repeat a command. That's why you don't see the "Z" position but, it's there. I used a 4.750" radius in the Z plane so my bell would fit my boiler jacket. Punched the four mounting holes while I had it dialed in. I want to put an auto bell ringer on it so, it also has a stud mount to give it strength. This little mill runs almost every day making parts for me and other club members.
20210410_154410.jpg
20210410_154419.jpg