EMD F7 in SCALE

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Steggy

Re: EMD F7 in SCALE

Post by Steggy »

For those who are interested in the parts I used to make the class lights I've attached PDFs with the information. Any 10mm LED will work, or you could even attach short, stiff leads to an incandescent lamp and use that instead of an LED. Electronics distributors such as Digi-Key and Mouser stock the parts.

LED_lens_10mm.pdf
10mm LED Lens
(88.95 KiB) Downloaded 498 times

LED_socket_10mm.pdf
10mm LED Socket w/Leads
(38.98 KiB) Downloaded 455 times
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

BDD...will add...

The HMC-461-XXX plastic lenses ARE fresnal lenses. Using an arbor to fit the lens over snugly...can spin these on a lathe to cut the original lens threads away and use the remaining disk for new/replacement caboose marker or classification lamp lenses. Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

ccvstmr wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:05 amBDD...will add...

The HMC-461-XXX plastic lenses ARE fresnal lenses. Using an arbor to fit the lens over snugly...can spin these on a lathe to cut the original lens threads away and use the remaining disk for new/replacement caboose marker or classification lamp lenses. Carl B.
Plus the lenses are available in a number of colors. I used the red ones as markers for my caboose, but with the screw-on socket for retention. With a 10mm, high-intensity, white LED they are visible at a good distance.
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Some years ago someone posted a very interesting thread about making fresnel lens by heating acrylic disks and pressing them into shape with a die he made up on his lathe.

I’ve been looking for it ever since, to no avail....

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

Glenn Brooks wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:42 pm Some years ago someone posted a very interesting thread about making fresnel lens by heating acrylic disks and pressing them into shape with a die he made up on his lathe.

I’ve been looking for it ever since, to no avail....

Glenn
Glenn, I think someone posted that as a response in my signal thread? I can't seem to find it. There was also responses including one modeler that would turn the ridges into the plastic round stock, then part it off, flip it around in a fixture and cut the convex surface, then polish it all clear. Seemed like a ton of work but looked really nice.
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

rkcarguy wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:59 pmThere was also responses including one modeler that would turn the ridges into the plastic round stock, then part it off, flip it around in a fixture and cut the convex surface, then polish it all clear. Seemed like a ton of work but looked really nice.
I recall that and was impressed with the results. Almost looked like the factory made them.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Yes, very slick method as I recall. I think the guy machined the die in a serrated, convex (concave??) shape, so that the plastic disks would conform to the true fresnel shape when they heated and pressed in the die. He also reported buying different color lens, white, red, green, etc and making any color he desired. Very cool stuff, and appeared simple to do.

I’ve searched for the thread with every key word I could think of, to no avail. It’s either been deleted, or lost in the volumes of generic, similar titles. Perhaps one reason we could use more well defined sub threads, or some system of standard code names to facilitate better searches and recall.

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=105775&p=379957&hi ... es#p379957

This was the link for the lathe turned ones.
Note that for many lights, the lenses are actually clear and it's the bulb, or a colored shade behind the lens in the case of a searchlight signal, that provides the color. So the colored material may not be needed depending on what you are modeling.
I have some experience with heating and molding various plastics, and it's rather tricky. The material has to be just the right temperature. Too hot and it gets bubbles in it, too cold and it will crack when formed. Also, to come out with an easy no polishing needed finish, the mold you are pressing the plastic into would need to be polished as smooth as possible or you will be doing a bunch of it on the finished parts and might as well turn them from stock on the lathe.
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

BDD, I'm curious what material your brake discs are made of? Steel? Cast iron? Stainless?
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

rkcarguy wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:00 pm BDD, I'm curious what material your brake discs are made of? Steel? Cast iron? Stainless?
They are made of carbon steel and are modified Airheart go-kart rotors that came from Northern Tool back when they stocked them. This part looks as though it would be a good substitute.
Racie35

Post by Racie35 »

Where can you get the cast nose piece ?
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Racie35 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:57 pmWhere can you get the cast nose piece ?
Contact Dave Newell at Pike River for information—you can PM him here as well.