Building the Frisco 1522

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

LocoJerome

Re: Building the Frisco 1522

Post by LocoJerome »

With the frames almost done I've turned my attention to the cradle frames. For this build I had the cradle frames water cut at the same time as the frames. The trailing truck axle sits back an exra 1-1/2" compared to the Heavy Mikado so I couldn't use the cradle frames from Railroad Supply. Also the 1522 has a little drop in cradle frames as they exit the main frame and making my own allowed me the freedom to make a more convincing copy of the prototype. The cradle frame started out as 5/8 hot rolls plate which was planed down to 9/16" thick and then tapers and milled out to look more like the casting. The holes were drilled and the frame end was modified with a notch to accommodate the rear bolts on the last pedestal binder. This was also in keeping with the prototype.
Attachments
Planing down the cradle frame to 9/16" thick.
Planing down the cradle frame to 9/16" thick.
Marking out the casting webs.  The frame will be milling out with rounded radius end mill.
Marking out the casting webs. The frame will be milling out with rounded radius end mill.
One cradle frame done... one to go.
One cradle frame done... one to go.
Milling out the pockets in the frame to accept the cradle frame.
Milling out the pockets in the frame to accept the cradle frame.
A better view of the cradle pocket showing the notch incorporated to accommodate the pedestal binder bolts.
A better view of the cradle pocket showing the notch incorporated to accommodate the pedestal binder bolts.
LocoJerome

Post by LocoJerome »

With the cradle frames completed I went ahead and machined the cradle casting. Ran into some really hard deposits in the cast iron. I took the cutting edge right off a pretty large high speed steel end mill. So out came the carbide. With the cradle somewhat complete I found the urge to great not to bolt it up. This also let me determine where I was going to place the spreader that the trailing truck attached to. The bolt hole pattern that fastens the cradle to the frame also followed the prototype which caused a little pain as this spreader was designed for a different bolt hole pattern. But with a little work and switch some through holes with tapped holes I was able to make it work. I assembled the frame up on the bench in the wood shop. Its pretty long... and heavy!
Attachments
Tapping screw holes in the trailing trucker spreader.
Tapping screw holes in the trailing trucker spreader.
Frame and cradle finally bolted together.
Frame and cradle finally bolted together.
Temporary assembly of the frame and cradle.  Finally getting a feel for the size of this build.  It will be heavy in the end.
Temporary assembly of the frame and cradle. Finally getting a feel for the size of this build. It will be heavy in the end.
LocoJerome

Post by LocoJerome »

One of the more unpleasant jobs so far is the cleaning up of the castings and removing all the flashing and parting lines as best as possible. Its noisy, dirty and I've been putting it off until the weather warmed up and I could move this task outside. The trailing truck was in pretty poor shape and it took about 5 hours to grind away the flashing and smooth out the parting lines. I'm pretty happy with the result. I still need to fill some flaws in the casting where the cast iron didn't completely fill a pocket or contains gas bubbles. I plan to use JBWeld and fill these areas and then grind smooth.
Attachments
Trailing truck before grinding away flashing.
Trailing truck before grinding away flashing.
Using a small right angle grinder and pneumatic die grinder to clean up the castings.
Using a small right angle grinder and pneumatic die grinder to clean up the castings.
Trailing truck after grinding.
Trailing truck after grinding.
LocoJerome

Post by LocoJerome »

The latest parts created were the equalizers. These were water cut when the frames were made and needed to be thinned down shaped and drilled. The equalizers rock back and forth against a round bearing surface which still need to be created. The prototype actually varied the pivot point a little off of center for different drivers and while this sounds interesting, I don't think I will try to duplicate as I don't think the little offset that exists is going to make any difference at this scale.
Attachments
Drilling holes in the equalizers.
Drilling holes in the equalizers.
The finished set of equalizers.
The finished set of equalizers.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Nice progress!
I bet seeing the frame assembled made your day!
~RN
LocoJerome

Post by LocoJerome »

Anyone who has been through this process knows the truth in that statement!
Old Bill

Post by Old Bill »

Hello Jerome!

How is your loco progressing? I have really enjoyed your updates. I would particularly like to thank you for publishing your erecting drawing. You have done an amazing job of cleaning it up and have inspired me to get on with my own example. It won't be as nice as yours but should be a functioning live steamer. I have started, of course, with the bell.
Attachments
DSCN8637c.jpg
A locoparts tender tank is pretty close too, once I had re-profiled the top edge.
A locoparts tender tank is pretty close too, once I had re-profiled the top edge.
A Little Engines trailing truck is making progress. Unfortunately, the axlebox covers are 'in the mail' so it will have to remain on the bench for a while.
A Little Engines trailing truck is making progress. Unfortunately, the axlebox covers are 'in the mail' so it will have to remain on the bench for a while.
Old Bill

Post by Old Bill »

The lock-down, here in the UK has left my bogie castings marooned at the foundry which is unfortunate but has given me workshop time to push on with the Westinghouse air compressor.

Looking forward to some more updates.

Keep safe everyone!

Steve
Old Bill

Post by Old Bill »

Sorry. When I said 'in the mail' above, there is no implied criticism. it is the current conditions delaying things!
Steve
LocoJerome

Post by LocoJerome »

I'm looking forward to updates myself. The last year and a half have been devoted mainly to house remodeling projects and I expect them to take the better part of this year. I do miss working on it and I'm hoping I'll be back on it when the Christmas holidays arrive.

Best,

Jerome
Old Bill

Post by Old Bill »

Thanks Jerome. Reality getting in the way again! I shall watch this space with interest.

Keep safe!

Steve
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Hell Jerome,
Enjoying to see your progress! Nice work and promising results 8) . Please, keep on reporting about your project!
Staying at your workplace seems to be the smartest way to keep clean of corona :wink:

All the best by asteamhead