columbia no1 vertical milling machine

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

bowkill32

columbia no1 vertical milling machine

Post by bowkill32 »

does anybody know anything about this mill. seems to be very well mads and came with a boat load of stuff here are some pictures,\
John Evans

Re: columbia no1 vertical milling machine

Post by John Evans »

Cute toy ! That said if the work envlope is big enough to do what you need to do with all the accessories included and the price is affordable grab it !! I wonder what the spindle taper is?
Edit : Try this link.
http://www.lathes.co.uk/columbia/index.html
www.chaski.com
spro

Post by spro »

I never saw one before but I LIKE it. That's quite a package with those accessories. I wonder if it has a quick knee lock on the other side, cause, you know. 3 digit serial #. I don't expect I'll see another except over at the site J.E. suggested.
Welcome to the Board.
JP1

Post by JP1 »

Hello everyone. I know I’m digging up an old post but it came up in a google search. I just acquired this Columbia No. 1 Serial Number 121. I picked it up in grungy but very good condition gave it a full disassemble, clean, and paint. Made a few minor repairs, replaced most hardware, new wiring, belt and custom fitted some new cast iron hand wheels. I’m quite proud of it at the moment.

I’ve done lots of searching but I haven’t been able to find anything more than the Lathes.uk info page on this machine.

I’ve been looking for something vintage because I dreaded the thought of the import alternatives and I think I was lucky to score this one when I did. When I responded to the ad I almost lost it because someone else already already coming to buy it, but lucky for me they turned it down because they couldn’t figure out the collet. So I quickly scooped it up. This one does take the Brown and Sharpe or hardinge No 00 collet’s. It only came with one shop made 1/2 collet but I was able to pick up a full assortment of collets on ebay for less than a buck a piece. In the center of the head it’s got a spring loaded plunger lock pin for loosening tightening the collet nut, just push it in and turn the nut, it automatically pops back out when you release the collet nut. Easy.

It’s about equivalent to the work envelope of a Harber Fraught Mini mill, but it’s much more rigid with it’s one piece cast base, it’s a solid little guy. It is smaller than I was looking for but I couldn’t pass this one up and in reality it’s probably perfect size for most of the little jobs I tend to work on.

I’ve been unable to find any other examples of this machine online so I wanted to show mine off a little.

spro

Post by spro »

That mill wasn't bad when you found it and now it is pristine . That solid "goose neck" iron hearkens back to coal foundries( more on that never) and very rigid. I first saw one on dear UK lathes and this is the second. I too, would have dropped what I was looking for and pursued this mill. I hope to read/see more about it. Hey ! Welcome to the Board !
JP1

Post by JP1 »

You’re right it wasn’t bad, it was quite good, just covered on all surfaces in a hardened shellac like film of oil which needed to be scraped and sanded off. Essentially a good cleaning was all it needed, All surfaces are un marred, and the dovetail ways show little to no wear, the spindle taper roller bearings look like new. It belonged to a retired machinist who had passed on. I purchased it from his family who did not know anything about it.

I am a bit amazed by the void of information about it or the company that made it, there must have been very few made and maybe the company didn’t survive very long. I have no idea when it was made other than guessing early 1940s.

The “gooseneck” design I don’t get the coal foundry reference, is cool because it is very rigid but also provides a generous swing over for such a small machine of about 17” and the head tilts very easily to the left or right a full 90 degrees by just loosening two socket cap screws.

Only changing speeds is a slight chore as you have to support the motor with one hand as it is loosened with the other, the minimum speed is 490 RPM and there is no reversing. The one modernization upgrade I would like to do to this machine is add a variable speed reversible drive. I’m considering a DC treadmill drive as I have one sitting on the shelf waiting for something to do.
Rex

Post by Rex »

Gorgeous little mill! Now on my Want list.

Congratulations on a nice find
Andro

Post by Andro »

Just started on my dads #1. Cute but, hard to find parts or info. Both of the table horizontal and vertical screws / nuts are worn.
It looks like it may of been a common issue on these machines. Anyone have any info, advice or experience?
Lazz
Location: The Warm Arizona Deserts... Phoenix to be precise...

Post by Lazz »

Screws and nuts are the easiest of replacement parts to find.
Determine what you have and buy a length of acme screw and a few nuts.
Most likely Ebay and Amazon both will have what you need
Then get busy adapting the new to the old.