Mulling use of Hamilton mini-milling machine

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

readingalot

Mulling use of Hamilton mini-milling machine

Post by readingalot »

I wonder if anyone has come across this machine or can comment on its usefulness. Pushing 80 so don't know I will ever get it into use. It is certainly well built and superior to the ones coming out of China.

I bought this about 25 years ago when a high school closed its machine shop. It was connected to a nc tape (paper) drive. They would have the kids punch the tape to direct movements of the machine. Seems like it got little to no use, so it is as tight as new and moves fluidly. I was led to believe it is a hi-speed precision drill/mill but based upon the small diameter belts it probably is not meant for real heavy work. The servos operate at 3volts DC and I believe 4 amps, which seems low. Also, it only has a 1/4" collet and the spindle probably could not handle much larger. Pretty heavy sucker though, weighing in at just over 140 lbs. It stands 24" tall and the side travel is about 12" but only 3" front to rear.

Did a lot of searching for Hamilton and believe they were/are in MD or DE but no longer in this field. I love looking at all the great machines on on of the posts that has all the pictures. Brings to mind when I did engraving (1957-1963) on brass and steel plates for the printing industry on a Gorton milling machine. Much of it was freehand, moving the handles continuously driven only by my built in CNC. Try that when you have mucho backlash. Had to keep the gibs tight to avoid drifting, so my arms were tired after eight hours.

Any and all comments welcome.
Attachments
hamilton mill drill small size.JPG
spro

Re: Mulling use of Hamilton mini-milling machine

Post by spro »

Welcome to the group Readingalot ! I used our search function here for "hamilton bench mill" and found one thread that discussed your mill in 2010. They provided it was made by Hamilton Associates Inc. of Baltimore Md.
spro

Post by spro »

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/ma ... g-machine-
This should be a link to 2008 PM article. The OP has a link to photo gallery which has your machine.
Nope doesn't work. It's there, search Hamilton bench top milling machine
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

What's pushing 80? The machine, or you? I think older people have an advantage, since they are more likely to be patient.

Not that this applies to me.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
sonicpt

Post by sonicpt »

I accidentally stumbled onto this forum and discussions about Hamilton Associate's (of Baltimore, MD) old milling machines. As a young electronic tech/Jr engineer my first job was at a small company in Alexandria, VA called Advanced Space Age Products, Inc. We got a contract and I was tasked to design the digital electronics to provide x-y numerical control via paper tape of Hamilton's milling machine, which was marketed for training at schools. This was just before microprocessors which would have made the job much easier. The control logic consisted of about 100 TTL chips on two large PC boards and the control cabinet had manual thumbwheel input and a paper tape reader on the side. I don't remember how many systems we shipped before ASAP went out of business in 1971, but that summer I went to Baltimore to assist Hamilton, and I believe they offered me a job but I wasn't interested in moving and it was too far to commute. I don't know if they were able to continue building that system.
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

What's pushing 80? The machine, or you? I think older people have an advantage, since they are more likely to be patient
Patience is relative
I have the patience of a monk about inanimate things and dogs, but just enough patience to save myself from criminal indictment with peoples.
That has remained fairly constant from my 20's to past my 70's
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX