grizzly boring heads?

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

oscer

grizzly boring heads?

Post by oscer »

Hey folks, I've been looking on e-bay for Criterion boring heads and was wondering what you fellas think of them compared to the china ones? I could buy a boring head and a set of 9 to 12 bars from Grizz for about $100. I'm a little leary of them I must admit, had mixed experiences with their products but haven't used one of their boring heads. Thanks for any opinions.
"...that they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights,that among these are life,liberty and the pursuit of happiness." Thomas Jefferson
"When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." Ben Franklin
John Evans

Re: grizzly boring heads?

Post by John Evans »

I have both import and US boring heads,both work fine. Biggest diff is Criterion's feed is one division is .001 on the dia.,import one is one division is .001 on the radius,just gota pay attention to what you are doing. My fav in my collection is a #2 Bridgport head, it takes 5/8ths bars though,not the most common ones. A adapter sleeve takes care of that issue though.
www.chaski.com
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Take a read here for a bit of info......

http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... =4&t=91800

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
davec43

Post by davec43 »

My Grizzly boring heads ( 2" and 3" ) are .001 on the diameter, and they seem to work fine.
Dave C

Grizzly 12x36 lathe, Gorton 1-22 milling machine
oscer

Post by oscer »

Thanks for the advise guys and thanks for the link warmstrong, I bought an old Criterion, the kind with the separate gib, from e bay this morning.
"...that they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights,that among these are life,liberty and the pursuit of happiness." Thomas Jefferson
"When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." Ben Franklin