Cochrane Bly Milling Machine

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

wedwards1938

Cochrane Bly Milling Machine

Post by wedwards1938 »

I will be interested to make contact with members who own/use a Cochrane Bly milling machine, or who have some knowledge of Cochrane Bly.
Cochrane Bly were a machine tool manufacturing Company, located in Rochester, New York, USA, and existed in the period 1900-1950, approximately.
I own one of their machines which I use regularly in a home workshop environment. It is one of my most appreciated items of equipment.
I hope to receive some replies.
Regards to All.
randyc

Re: Cochrane Bly Milling Machine

Post by randyc »

Your mill sounds very interesting - can you post some photos?

Sad that so many capable machine-tool manufacturers (some of the names are not even familiar to us now) have disappeared over the years. Same situation with ship-building, semiconductors, steel-manfacturers, aircraft companies, autos/motorcycles, textiles, hand-tools, medicines, food ... where will it all end? I'm thinking that the American Century was the last one and this one will be the Chinese Century.

<sigh>
Randy C
wedwards1938

Post by wedwards1938 »

G'day randyc,
This the only readily available photo I have of my Cochrane Bly milling machine.
The machine has a vertical spindle milling head mounted on the lefthand side of the main turret with a slotting head mounted on the righthand side of the turret.
Each of these heads can be turned forwards or backwards +/- 45 degrees from the vertical and the whole turret can be rotated about a 'front to back' horizontal centre line, through a full 360 degrees; that is, the tooling in the milling spindle can be facing upwards.
The milling/drilling spindle is mounted within a quill assembly, so milling/drilling cutting can be advanced along any compound alignment within the above mentioned envelope.
There is power feed to both the table and the cross-slide. The power feed can be changed from continuous when milling to stepped when slotting.
The incorporation of the slotting head was designed to permit the manufacture of punch and die tooling wherein the slotting head would be used to machine the back taper/clearance on the punch and also in the die. Cochrane Bly supplied a double layer rotary table, one unit on top of the second with a single axis translating slide between each unit.
Unfortunately, one of these versatile rotary tables did not accompany my machine.
The lead screws were of toolroom quality which is evident in the accuracy the machine still retains.
The job on the machine in the photo is the sides of the frame of a 71/4" locomotive that I am building. The state of untidyness of my surrounding workshop is typical!
I hope the attached photo comes through OK.
Regards.
Attachments
DSC03340.JPG
wedwards1938

Post by wedwards1938 »

G'day Randy,
I have unearthed another photo, which is more front on compared with the previously posted photo. The job on the table is the same but at a later stage of machining.
Regards,
Bill.
Attachments
DSC03522.JPG
EdK

Post by EdK »

Bill,

That's a very interesting looking mill. I've never seen one quite like it. Thanks for posting the pictures. :)

Ed
Vectrax 14x40 lathe, Enco RF-45 clone mill, MillerMatic 180 MIG.
randyc

Post by randyc »

Bill,

That is a GORGEOUS machine - thanks so much for posting the photos. When I see a pretty old mill like yours, it renews my faith that some day .... I might encounter one at the right price. (Of course, I've been telling myself that for over fifty years now, LOL !)

I hope that someone can provide more information on that old beauty.

Cheers,
Randy C
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Very interesting piece of machinery.

You really need to contact Tony Griffith with info on that machine.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/page21.html

He's got the best site on the web for information about lathes and milling machines.

He's always interested in pictures of stuff he doesn't know about.

Steve
spro

Post by spro »

Good Night wedwards! That is unexpectedly awesome. I'll be doing some research on that one. Talk about some engineering.. Thanks for the pics. I notice it has a peculiar trait that more basic mills had in the early days; the elevation screw would pass inches below the base when lowered completely. In my case i had to drill a hole thru reenforced concrete-till I hit a rebar. Then drill another hole :lol: Anyway I'll check Tony's also and if I find anything more, I'll tell you.
wedwards1938

Post by wedwards1938 »

G'day Folks,
Thanks to all the people who have replied so far. I appreciate your comments, guidance and views.
Kind regards,
Bill.
wedwards1938

Post by wedwards1938 »

G’day spro,
Your comment re the knee elevating screw is correct, but, as it turned out, Cochrane Bly nailed that one in the design of the first series of this machine, and continued the same design into the later series. As far as I can determine, my machine is representative of the final design. The leading under face of the knee assembly reaches the top face of the elevating screw nut, which is situated at the top of the pedestel shown in the photos, before the lower end of the elevating screw gets to floor level.
Into the bargain, as I stand just on 2m tall, I decided, when installing the machine, that I would stand it on 150mm hardwood riser blocks to ease any strain on my aging back. I, therefore, unintentionally, bypassed any need to drill clearance holes in the workshop floor, as you correctly predict could have been required.
Relay of any further related information that comes your way will be appreciated.
Kind regards,
Bill.
spro

Post by spro »

the whole deal was obliterated by one hit of one key.
It wasn't this or that and mention of one screw inside another and other things which I discussed with myself apparently. I checked Tony's as did many and there is zero on this machine. My impression is that it is from the 1930's by the motor and controls yet there is evidence of much earlier design in the basic base.
I checked Tony's site and found nothing. We will see to that.
spro

Post by spro »

Now dangit, I said "we will see about that" What I mean is we assemble all the snippets of info about this machine. It will be in Tony's archive which is a gift.