Show us your milling machine!

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

spro

Re: Show us your milling machine!

Post by spro »

12L14's pantograph is interesting too. The head is smallish but capable of higher rpms, tracing over a semi completed part to finer detail.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

SteveM wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:26 pm The stuff that goes away is the stuff that you want to keep.
The stuff that never goes away is the stuff that you just want to go away.
Steve
New Murphy's law for the information age!
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

1940 Round ram, “M” head Bridgeport.
F91E732F-68C3-4F21-A414-CDD40D227CE8.jpeg
spro

Post by spro »

Whew. So much going on. Your Bridgeport looks really nice for being 1940. Later ones are all beat to heck, so somehow you got a peach.
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

It came from a pattern shop where it was only used on wood. I added the Servo drive and the Trav-A-Dials.
spro

Post by spro »

During rocket strikes against our troops, maybe tomorrow we talk about M heads.
spro

Post by spro »

Since it has gone all insipid with antennae channels, your motor may be interesting. The "M" heads had all kinds of motors driving them but they all had to fit into a compartment within the drive pulley. I think yours may be the high speed model. The way it ends up, the higher speed heads' quills ( with proper bearings) can use the newer high speed endmills that they may have envisioned.
acrosteve

Post by acrosteve »

Currently, I am sharing the VFD with the belt sander I built.
20200208_154846.jpg

I have the M head also. There is a crack in the housing that needs repaired. I do have the motor for it. It's in that blue milk crate! :lol:
20200208_154854.jpg
20200208_155028.jpg
piedmontg

Post by piedmontg »

Hi
I picked up this almost unused Prazi 400 mill at at NAMES several years ago. It has a no 1 MT spindle, a bit light. However all my tooling for my Sherline Mill fits it. The table is one of the smoothest I have had. I did not like the belt changing so I retrofitted it with 1/4 HP Lesson 90V DC motor to go along with the Lesson DC controller I had picked up new in the box at a flea market. I have been very pleased with it and use it often. The round column has a very tight fitting key and for minor Z movements it stays put to about a .001. It does not compare with my Bridgeport but for many of the little things I make it is great. My last multiple set of parts went from the Bridgeport, to the Prazi, to the Clausing 8540 I listed earlier, and then to the lathe. A different set of cuts on each machine made making the parts much simpler!

Bob
Prazi-400-Front.jpg
Prazi-400-Side.jpg
Prazi-400-DC-Motor.jpg
Prazi-400-Speed-Controller.jpg
spro

Post by spro »

Hi. I like it because you described how well it works for you. I could say "Nice tight high speed vertical mill", why not? Plus you bought it at the right time. A picker would have cleaned up and sold it for twice the price. I don't hate pickers. They go all around and find things. Very knowledgeable people who try to link their finds to certain groups of folks. Somebody didn't buy it as a press, nutcracker, paint mixer or other horrible things. So the guy drives hundreds of miles and makes some money. Stuff happens like a really rare metallic hand plane. Yeh but somebody used it as a hammer. Hey, "it has a handle and didn't cost nothing." Well sweetie, oh dear.
Lewayne

Post by Lewayne »

E1667C07-254C-46E6-96D8-28505D40BE47.jpeg
I got this for $500. I don’t think it was so much abused or even used much as it was aggressively neglected. It had been sitting in the corner of a guys shop here in very damp Houston, Tx. It was pretty sad looking. It was also maroon and that color depresses me to look at. I brought it home and parked it while I finished another project.,Then I took it completely apart and cleaned everything up and repainted it. I had a sign shop do a new front plate cover for me. I had some trouble with the quill feed which was the last thing to go on. Of course. I’m still tramming the column to the table but I hope to start using it very soon.
Attachments
037B0E58-C81A-496D-A16F-6BF1476BF193.jpeg
C70DC62F-DCFD-42CD-BAFE-C03BEBF312C9.jpeg
AD23FD4C-4FF0-4E2B-95CD-3EB2C36F6DD3.jpeg
spro

Post by spro »

Looks very well as you've been into it. The X table power drive goes on the left side - Many choices there. It should be substantial and even single phase, certain type of motor. People don't know what I'm saying sometimes- and that is good. The older mills' table feeds were mechanically timed to the spindles' rpm. It made perfect sense because the old motors+gearboxes weighed so much, as to cause significant wear.