Van Norman 22L question

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Brentoxicated

Van Norman 22L question

Post by Brentoxicated »

Hello everyone,

I am new to machining and am just getting started. I just picked up a Van Norman 22L mill which looks fairly complete however the mill head just has the spindle..no drawbar or means of attaching the collets (so it seems).. I have seen the Van Norman homepage here:
http://home.att.net/~JEKasunich/vannorman/VN_Home.htm

..and i have a laser copy of a manual but its not complete. Does anyone have a 50V drawbar or any info, pics,etc. for a 22L?. I have no frame of reference for what it should have/look like.

Thanks for any and all help you can provide,
Brent
MikeC

Re: Van Norman 22L question

Post by MikeC »

Oh boy! another one!!! I've got a 22L at the shop, and there's another couple on the list I think. I'll make you up a crude drawing for the drawbar, it's a tubular external deal and has an oddball thread. You will get some practice at cutting internal threads to a shoulder if you have a lathe. You'll need an internal drawbar for the horizontal stuff, so I'll send you that one, too. Did you get the overarm supports with it? I can make up some rough drawings of that, but I have no idea how you would fabricate one, unless you do some SERIOUS iron casting.

Keep an eye on ebay. Lots of stuff shows up there, and I'm about set now, so you won't have to bid against me;-)
18x72 L&S, Fosdick 3ft radial, Van Norman 2G bridgemill, Van Norman #12, K. O. Lee T&C grinder, Steptoe-Western 12X universal HS shaper, 16spd benchtop DP, Grob band filer, South Bend 10L
Brentoxicated

Post by Brentoxicated »

Mike- Thanks a ton!. No, i didn't get the overarm supports with it. If you could email me those drawings and info that'd be awesome.. my email address is:

brentoxicated@hotmail.com

Thanks again,
Brent
Grady Smith

Re: Van Norman 22L question, secondary heads

Post by Grady Smith »

At work we have two or three different heads that bolt to the main tilting head, and maybe even to the side of the ram. They are not in the best of shape, but is anyone interested in them? The boss would probably part with one or all. I do not think tht we will ever fix them up to use.
MikeC

ARRRRGGGGHHHH!!

Post by MikeC »

I just blew my wad on that bridge mill or I'd jump on them! Which heads do you have?

The drill/boring head seems to be the real gem as it gives you a quill. The high speed attachment gives you a very short quill and they had another motorized high speed attachment that was similar to a Bridgeport head. Both of the high speed heads and the "universal subhead" swivel at 90 degrees to the spindle. They also had a shaper head.

I think I am going to eventually try to round up a Bridgeport head and mount it on the cutterhead assembly. That would do everything the entire line of Van Norman heads do and you'd be able to get parts for it.
18x72 L&S, Fosdick 3ft radial, Van Norman 2G bridgemill, Van Norman #12, K. O. Lee T&C grinder, Steptoe-Western 12X universal HS shaper, 16spd benchtop DP, Grob band filer, South Bend 10L
Brentoxicated

Post by Brentoxicated »

I would definitely be interested!. Please email pricing and pics to:

brentoxicated@hotmail.com

Thanks,
Brent
VN16M

Post by VN16M »

I am interested in VN heads. Please email additional info.

Thank you,
Greg Ingalsbe
jingalsbe@stny.rr.com
RichGuz234

Post by RichGuz234 »

Hate to jump in on an old post but I see someone has drawing floating around out there for the outboard support and the overarm supports ... just bought one today and I’m missing those parts
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

RichGuz234 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:37 pm Hate to jump in on an old post but I see someone has drawing floating around out there for the outboard support and the overarm supports ... just bought one today and I’m missing those parts
That poster has not been on the forum since 08 !
www.chaski.com
RichGuz234

Post by RichGuz234 »

It was worth a try ... anybody else gave any information
reggie_obe

Post by reggie_obe »

Post on PM in the USA heavy iron forum.
https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/c ... eavy-iron/