It followed me home!!!

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

pete

Re: It followed me home!!!

Post by pete »

Yeah there were still line drive machines being built in the 30's and 40's. For some manufacturer's they were still offering options of either line drive or with there own electric motors. Remember that lot's of older shops still in business were originally set up that way so the manufacturers had to offer alternatives to shops that hadn't yet gone to individual and separate motors on each machine. In fact I was in a North Vancouver tugboat company's machine shop in the early 1970's that was still run on a full line drive system. Yes I'd certainly agree about not wire wheeling precision surfaces. Except on that machine any precision it had is long gone and that's why it needs to be scraped to restore it's accuracy. There's zero reason now not to wire wheel it and it will also save a lot of hand work. Due to the rust pitting it's going to take a lot of material removed to get below the damage caused by it. So a wire wheel no matter how aggressive will have no effect. And any rust left in those pitted surfaces is a rudimentary form of carbide, that's highly detrimental to keeping your scraper blade sharpness for as long as possible. Whatever methods are used for rust removal either chemical or electrolysis will get rid of the majority of it. Wire wheeling will also give a tooth for primer to stick and help with the hand scraping to get started.
Gwarden

Re: It followed me home!!!

Post by Gwarden »

Well after much thought and soul searching. I have decided to move this machine on to it's next owner (He picked it up last night) The new owner seemed to know more than I do in regards to working with metal and was eager to obtain it.

So on to my next possible project!!!

Dennis