Parts availability for not so common mill/drill

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Indyglyder

Parts availability for not so common mill/drill

Post by Indyglyder »

Hi, I am trying to find a source for any parts needed on this mill. It's a luson LK-30. Does anyone know about it or if there is a clone that goes by another name?
What company made it.
Thanks,
Bryan

Screenshot_20210409-164252_Gallery.jpg
John Hasler

Re: Parts availability for not so common mill/drill

Post by John Hasler »

Looks like a generic Chinese round column mill-drill. Look at this: https://images.bid-on-equipment.com/pro ... 0211-3.jpg.

What parts do you need?
rmac

Post by rmac »

From your picture, that mill looks alarmingly close to what I have. Mine's branded as an Enco Model 91000, but underneath it all I'm pretty sure it's either a Rong Fu or a clone thereof. Look for Rong Fu model numbers like RF-25, RF-30, etc. to see if you can find one that matches your picture. At one time I think Grizzly also sold similar machines. They might have the parts you need.

Here's a picture of my mill just for reference:

mill.jpg

-- Russell Mac
choprboy

Post by choprboy »

Yeah, looks a lot like a Rong Fu RF-30 or similar Taiwanese manufacture mill drill from the mid 80's. Luson International seems to have been the importer and sold under various trademarks like Freeport, Millport, K-Millport, Daytona, and "National National".

Looks like they started in Jan 1975 and the Luson International corporation was dissolved in Jul 1992. A new company Millsite Engineering was started at the same address and with the same principals in Jul 1986 that still shows as valid but it looks like they haven't filed an annual report since 2017. They last had a website at http://millportmachines.com, but it was hosted on Earthlink and seems to have gone dead at the end of 2017. There was also another company at the same address, East Coast Machinery Sales, from Nov 1989 to Aug 1996. Looks like the proprietor, Robert Lu, would be 89 today if he hasn't passed.

Edit: A mid-80s Rong Fu RF-30 looks like a match. Found another almost exact match, badged as a Complex Machine "Cut King" CK-30 and the tag says made in China. Someone has one listed on ebay for $1750... yeah....Probably also the same as the Enco GL-30B / Enco 91002 (91034 and a few other part numbers are slightly later models).
Attachments
rongfu RF-30.jpg
cutking CK-30.jpg
enco GL-30B.jpeg
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Basically....if you need a part...make it...which is true for many imported machines from Taiwan and China. Many are built piecemeal in cottage industry style, assembled at a larger facility and sold under many names and paint jobs.

I own a mill and lathe sold by Select machines in the 1980's...unless a part is a standard ball bearing or hardware item -> an exact replacement is nearly impossible.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Bill Shields wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:23 pm if you need a part...make it...
I agree.

Don't even waste time trying to find parts that are unlikely to fit anyway; buy generic screws / nuts / bearings and so on, make the rest.
Indyglyder

Post by Indyglyder »

Hi all, thanks for the info. The main part I currently need is the correct length drawbar for mt-2. Other than that I was hoping to have a source for any future problems.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

threaded rod sure makes it easy.
high tensile should be available, not the the hardware store mild steel stuff.
pete

Post by pete »

A nice bit of research sleuthing there Choprboy, I'm impressed.

Yep much eaiser to just make your own verses finding something that may or may not work Bryan. But if there was any MT 2 tooling included with that mill you'll also need to double check exactly what thread it actually has. Afaik there's two standard thread pitches used for the MT 2 draw bar threads. 3/8" x 16 imperial and 14 x 1 metric. Yes if your in either North America or Europe etc it should be one or the other. But unless you do check you can't be 100% sure of what you have or where it was bought from. There's a couple of Youtube videos where they couldn't figure out why the tooling they bought on Ebay wouldn't fit there imperial drawbars. I've ordered quite a bit from the UK and for items like this it's easy to miss some of it does use the metric standard thread.
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

pete wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:29 pm ...Afaik there's two standard thread pitches used for the MT 2 draw bar threads. 3/8" x 16 imperial and 14 x 1 metric. ...
M14 would be bigger than the small end of mt2 wouldn't it?
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

whateg0 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:36 am
pete wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:29 pm ...Afaik there's two standard thread pitches used for the MT 2 draw bar threads. 3/8" x 16 imperial and 14 x 1 metric. ...
M14 would be bigger than the small end of mt2 wouldn't it?
Should be about 15.5 mm but there seems to be no formal standard for tangless Morse tapers.
pete

Post by pete »

Good catch Whateg0, I used a single Ebay example since I don't have any metric drawbars and that must have had a typo in it. M 10 seems to be metric standard. My apology's for the confusion.