Sajo UF 52 horizontal mill issues

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SlowLearner

Sajo UF 52 horizontal mill issues

Post by SlowLearner »

My mill was damaged while being shipped. Of course it is the hardest mill on earth to get info on. The damage is to the right hand X axis hand wheel and the lead screw. Does anyone out there have experience with these?

Thanks

Dave
SlowLearner

Re: Sajo UF 52 horizontal mill issues

Post by SlowLearner »

Is it my breath? Just kidding but perhaps I should provide some more details. This mill was shipped to me from the east coast and from the tracking it looks like it was taken off the truck at every town on the route. When I picked it up at the local terminal the pallet was damaged and the bracket for the crane for a vertical head was poking through the plastic wrap and scraped. The damage to it looked cosmetic and wasn't an issue to me. We closely inspected the wrap at the terminal and saw nothing that would indicate other damage. When we got it is our shop we started unwrapping it and quickly found the right side X axis hand wheel and possibly the lead screw were bent. The hand wheel has a clutch so it doesn't spin wildly under power feed. I hope that it is just the hand wheel and the clutch mechanism that is damaged but I would really like to communicate with someone that owns a Sajo so I can get some insight into how this thing is put together so I can make informed decisions on it. The sellers hired the shippers and there is no question the shipper did not exercise due care. Since we have a pending claim against the shipper and I still may reject the mill I can't just start taking it apart. I like the mill and would like to repair it or have it repaired on the shipper's nickel. The problem is we just don't know what potential damage could be under the table since we are unfamiliar with the design and we can't just pull the table and have a look. When I look up under the table it looks like there are two nuts that the lead screw bases through and they are 8-10 inches apart. I can't see what is between them and I can't see how to power feed moves the table. When I turn the left side hand wheel it is rough and makes a clicking noise. That could. be the clutch mechanism or maybe the power feed. I just can't tell. Info on these machines seems to be nonexistent on line. There is one web site that offer manuals but it looks fraudulent. Lathes UK lists that they have catalogues but I didn't get a response when I emailed them. There is a company in Sweden that has some parts and manuals but they only take a European payment system that does not serve the US. So I am in a bind and would greatly appreciate talking to anyone who has experience with Sajo mills.

Thanks

Dave
pete

Post by pete »

A nice Euro type mill. I sure can't help you with any details, but if it were me I'd try this forum. https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/d ... ene-mills/ No guarantees, but I bet somebody on that forum can help, and there's lot's of members in Europe there.
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

SlowLearner wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:30 pm This mill was shipped to me from the east coast and from the tracking it looks like it was taken off the truck at every town on the route. When I picked it up at the local terminal the pallet was damaged and the bracket for the crane for a vertical head was poking through the plastic wrap and scraped.
Immediately file a damage claim with the shipper and put the onus on them to make it right.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
SlowLearner

Post by SlowLearner »

Thanks. I have read everything on PM on Sajos but there really wasn't much there. If I can remember my PM username and password I will try starting a thread on it. Knowing PM I will probably just get flamed. I did file a claim and as is common with freight companies they are not moving too quickly. I was told not to do anything to it until they decide whether or not they want to do a physical inspection. The pallet is 6 foot x 8 foot and we moved everything in my small shop to the side to get it in with a forklift. After a lot of squeaking by me including telling them about the last freight company that jacked me around on a claim and how I took them to federal court over the matter and prevailed, they finally agreed today to let me remove it from the pallet and move it out of the way so we can at least get the shop back to normal. I cut away most of the pallet with a chain saw so my shop is a total mess right now. I have to remind myself that we do this for fun.

I did find a company if Sweden that sells some parts for these including manuals. They have sent one and told me that we can settle up on that later. Old school, I like that, but then again I am probably going to be spending a fair amount with them on parts.

So where it stands right now is the hand wheel with the internal clutch mechanism is shot. In the worst case I can make a standard hand wheel work but it will spin like crazy under power feed. It looks like it was shipped with the power feed engaged and I can't get it to disengage. It might be that the power need to be on for the lever to move as the Y axis power feed which is in neutral won't move either. It is a 7hp 3 phase machine and I only have single phase. My plan was to wire in a VFD but I don't want to buy one until I know we are keeping the machine. I will have to talk to my electrical engineer brother to see if we can take a VFD off one of my other machines and hook it up temporarily just to power up the machine but not start the motor. None of my other machines have that big of a motor.

On the damaged hand wheel side I sprayed a bunch of wd40 on the dial and lock ring and managed to get the lock ring to back off some before it tightened up again. Then I inspected with feeler gauges. There is a slightly bigger gap on one side than the other. This and the fact that the lock ring tightened up while I was loosening it is consistent with a bent lead screw. Not good but probably repairable. Right now my biggest concern is the power feed since it appears it was engaged during shipping.

Any suggestion are greatly appreciated.

Dave
pete

Post by pete »

Follow my link, that's the proper and specific forum for these Euro type mills. You've posted your question in the General forum. Honest questions about industrial level equipment don't get flamed there. But the post thread is on you for providing clear and full information without leaving anyone to guess about what you mean. Whatever your going to post then re-read it multiple times from a total strangers perspective. If it still makes sense at that point it will be fine.
SlowLearner

Post by SlowLearner »

Thanks, I posted in the forum you suggested.

Dave
pete

Post by pete »

Your welcome. This forum is very good, but for a machine of that type I think you'll have a much better chance of getting detailed answers there.