Opinion on Rong Fu RF-400HS Mill Drill

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Backwaterdogs

Opinion on Rong Fu RF-400HS Mill Drill

Post by Backwaterdogs »

Hello all,

Am a new member of this forum and looking forward to learning and participating.

I was wondering if anyone could provide some advice on a machine I am considering buying.

it is a 1999 rong fu mill drill model RF-400HS. The machine looks very clean and has had a nice mobile base and coolant tank/pump system. It has one 3 jaw jacobs chuck included.

My needs for this are mainly drill press work. I had considered buying something new, but can't justify a nice american machine. I also have plans to do some light milling - probably only aluminum

This machine is made in Taiwan and 'looks' well made.

The price is $1700. I preferred to find an older american made machine, but not having any luck where I'm at. I'd feel more comfortable at 1300 or this but it is a clean machine.

Here is a pic, hopefully it loads and helps. It would probably serve me fine, mainly curious to know if $1700 is a reasonable deal or not.

kl7sg

Re: Opinion on Rong Fu RF-400HS Mill Drill

Post by kl7sg »

If you are looking at imports, the Grizzly G0704, 1 hp version might be a better match for what you are planning.
It has an mill style table and a R-8 spindle. It looks to be about the same cost.
With the mill table you will be able to drill/mill more accurately. Parts are easy to get from Grizzly.
Have a nice day,

Mike
Backwaterdogs

Post by Backwaterdogs »

thanks Mike for the reply!

I did look at several different Grizzly machines and this as well. In the end will probably do more drilling than milling, but sure that grizzly is a more capable milling machine. It looks to only have about 18" of travel and occassionally I expect to need to drill large, odd parts.

This grizzly drill looks very similar: https://www.grizzly.com/products/grizzl ... ress/g0784 and new is about the same price.

I have a bit of hang up of being chinese made however...but on the surface, they look darn near identical.

Would you think there is any practical difference?
kl7sg

Post by kl7sg »

My understanding is that most of the Chinese stuff comes from the same factory and is just rebranded.
It wouldn't be surprised if they came from the same factory.
Have a nice day,

Mike
Backwaterdogs

Post by Backwaterdogs »

The casting sure look like they are all same, if there are any differences after that who knows.

i did see a drill mill branded Enco that was labeled to have been made in Taiwan and really was identical...only the label on the pulley cover was changed from rong fu to enco.

In your opinion, is 1700 over priced for this unit? thanks!
armscor 1

Post by armscor 1 »

I think the term Mill Drill is incorrect, to me it looks like a Drill Press.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

armscor 1 wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:30 am I think the term Mill Drill is incorrect, to me it looks like a Drill Press.
My thought too.
Milling cannot be done with a 3-jaw drill press chuck trying to hold a mill cutter. Collets or mill cutter holders are required, that lock into the spindle.
The normal Morse tapers in drill press spindles will not tolerate sideways forces of milling. A locking drawbar is required to keep them in the spindle.

If the drill press you are looking at is not properly set up for milling, you need to reconsider your options.
RussN
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

That machine is NOT a mill/drill, which is obvious by the missing features that would be a part of a mill/drill. There is no saddle or table that moves, nor handwheels that could be used to move them.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
kl7sg

Post by kl7sg »

I am not sure if it is over priced.
I agree with the comments from the others regarding the use of it as a mill.
But, if all you really need is just need a drill press, it will probably be OK.
Have a nice day,

Mike
Backwaterdogs

Post by Backwaterdogs »

Thanks again everyone!!!
the OEM (rong fu) calls it a mill/drill and they still make this model and a variant that has a cross table, but as mentioned, this particular unit does not have the cross table.

It does come with a draw bar, here is what the ad states:
"Spindle Taper MT-3 with Drawbar (Will accept Tang Tooling)"

However, Im unsure still if this is adequate for milling and looks to require some additional tooling.

So, it seems this machine is a pretty capable drill press, but not a desirable milling operation, so I guess really just gets to down to if I want to spend $1700 on a nice drill and still be without a competent mill. If I then buy a table top top type of mill, another 2k. I might as well just find a used bridgeport for 3 to 4k somewhere.
kl7sg

Post by kl7sg »

They do make MT-3 tool holders.
If you need to mill, you can get a X - Y milling vise that will work ok on this machine.
The milling vises of this type have limited x -y travel.
Have a nice day,

Mike
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

Wildly over priced DRILL PRESS . My first mill 40 years ago was one of those drill "mills' what a POS! Not much better than a file and a hacksaw! Locally I know of a WEBB mill [just as good as a BP and a bit heavier too] with vise and DRO for $4000. Go buy a Harbor Freight DP for $300 or so then look for a real mill.
www.chaski.com