Opinion on Rong Fu RF-400HS Mill Drill

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Gary Armitstead

Re: Opinion on Rong Fu RF-400HS Mill Drill

Post by Gary Armitstead »

I have to agree with the comment above......This is a wildly overpriced drill press!
And I don't care what "Fong Ru" says, this is definitely NOT a mill/drill. A drill press and a mill/drill are completely different machines.

In my opinion, find a good used mill/drill and spend less than $1700. I'm a retired die sinker and over 55 years in the trade. I operated milling machines worth 100's of thousand's of dollars machining cavities in die steel. But for my home shop, I purchased an Enco mill/drill in 1981 and have built a couple of 1/8th scale steam locomotives with it and quite a few electric locos and rolling stock. Many say that mill/drills are incapable of accurate work. Nonsense, it's the person turning the handles that is not able to do the accurate work! JMHO.
Gary Armitstead
Burbank, CA
Member LALS since 1980
Member Goleta Valley Railroad Club 1980-1993
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Gary Armitstead wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:03 pm Many say that mill/drills are incapable of accurate work. Nonsense, it's the person turning the handles that is not able to do the accurate work! JMHO.
And a valid one!
It isn't the machine, but the individual at the handles who determines what can and can't be done, and at what level of precision, within reason, of course. Everyone should keep in mind that mills are NOT jig borers, so tight tolerances (± .001" and below) become quite the challenge.

Like you, Art Crisp built a beautiful Pacific with a mill/drill. Art, now deceased, worked as a die maker.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Backwaterdogs

Post by Backwaterdogs »

Ok thanks everyone!

This was the kind of feed back I was really needing.

This dril looked heavy duty and reasonably clean, so to my novice eye, appeared to be a good deal.

will keep looking.

I do need a drill press and found an old craftsman (american made years ago) that I'll try and buy for 300 or less and keep my eyes open for a deal on a real mill.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

kl7sg wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:35 am They do make MT-3 tool holders.
If you need to mill, you can get a X - Y milling vise that will work ok on this machine.
The milling vises of this type have limited x -y travel.
I cannot imagine a round column drill press holding an x-y table stationary for milling.
RussN
Tool Junkie

Post by Tool Junkie »

For a few hundred dollars more than the price you quoted, you could buy a true Mill/Drill that would do everything that drill press will, and light milling too.
I used one for years until I could afford a REAL mill, and I did some very big jobs with it too. You just have learn the machines limitations, and work around them.

Don't know where those partial posts came from. :?: :?: :?:
Both deleted by moderator
Last edited by Tool Junkie on Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kl7sg

Post by kl7sg »

NP317 wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:51 pm
kl7sg wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:35 am They do make MT-3 tool holders.
If you need to mill, you can get a X - Y milling vise that will work ok on this machine.
The milling vises of this type have limited x -y travel.
I cannot imagine a round column drill press holding an x-y table stationary for milling.
RussN
Yeah, it would be marginal.
I guess if a guy took light cuts it would work.
Anyway, it looks like he is going to get a real mill.
Have a nice day,

Mike
Backwaterdogs

Post by Backwaterdogs »

yep..thanks all!

Im passing on this drill and am looking for a real mill. Lots of options that all look to be pretty much the exact same mill (grizzly, dayton, jet) in that 2k price range.

they are all bench top type of machines.

I have the room for a real bridgeport and I missed a great deal on a very nice one for $3k when I first started looking, it was a steal..but I missed it.

keeping any eye out! thanks all!