New purchase!

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

discodan

New purchase!

Post by discodan »

I finally found a set of 4PN collets for my P&W 3C horizontal. Now if I could just find a vertical head and a horizontal arbor!
earlgo

Re: New purchase!

Post by earlgo »

You don't need no steenkin' vertical head. I don't have one and things work out ok. Arbors for this mill can be found on ebay, but this uses #40NMTB arbors.
Attachments
Angle cut
Angle cut
Horiz end mill std vise
Horiz end mill std vise
End mill vert vise
End mill vert vise
arbor milling
arbor milling
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
spro

Post by spro »

Yes it is heavy concentration around the cutting tool. A person doesn't usually have that stability with a vertical head.
It would be cool though. To have Two. Especially with a round ram, the vertical head may sit off a tad. That is while heavy business happens. Then the head is tuned into angles otherwise impossible.
Never say impossible, especially here. The advancing quill is like a heavy drill press but smaller. Remember, the quill has like 6 bearings associated and they have deal with thrust pressure and radial pressure.
spro

Post by spro »

Thanks for the pics. I will try to return the favor. oooooh it never happened.