Lagun FTV-1 Glacier Sleeves and Drive Belt

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

kl7sg

Lagun FTV-1 Glacier Sleeves and Drive Belt

Post by kl7sg »

Hi,

I just finished the rebuild on my Lagun FTV-1 head and there was some confusion regarding the glacier sleeve length and drive belt part number.
For Serial Numbers: 8170 thru 22838 the proper glacier sleeve length is 50 mm.
If you use the short sleeves on the pulley assemblies for this range of serial numbers, the plastic keys will only be 1/3" long instead of the normal 1.5" length. This will reduce the key shear strength by 80% and it will probably fail early.

I have attached photos and a pdf of the problem. The pdf contains the info you might need if you choose to make them your self.

Also, the drive belt part number is 2332V373. The proper belt angle is 32 degrees not 22 degrees.
Attachments
Long Sleeves.jpg
Short Sleves in Plully.jpg
FTV1 Long Glacier Sleeve..pdf
(118.96 KiB) Downloaded 251 times
Have a nice day,

Mike
spro

Re: Lagun FTV-1 Glacier Sleeves and Drive Belt

Post by spro »

Hello! Welcome to the forum! I'm sure that folks like a person armed with knowledge, knocking in the door. It has been particularly difficult these days. Laguns are good machines by all accounts, so this information is well received.
spro

Post by spro »

Then from Texas. I grew up in Texas We could drive cars way young at 15-16 years old. These were really old automobiles.
Very heavy drive for a youngster .
kl7sg

Post by kl7sg »

Hi,

Texas is a nice place to live. We are outside of Fort Worth about 30 miles.
I was born and raised in Alaska and moved to Texas in 2009.

Regarding the Glacier sleeves, I am guessing that Lagun made a change to the Sheeves after S/N: 22838 and a person should be able to use the short sleeves on those models.

Before I rebuilt the head, it was very noisy. I found 3 bearings that were very rough feeling. With the new bearings and drive belt, it purrs.

When you replace the belt, if the motor sheeve won't come off, you can install the motor to the top housing and then install the top housing to the bottom. This works very well and took about 5 minutes to install. I spent a day trying to install the belt it like you would on a bridgeport -- no fun.
Have a nice day,

Mike