Asian mill head alignment.

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

oscar g

Asian mill head alignment.

Post by oscar g »

Aligning head with the table, using a pencil lazer. Simple clamp attaches lazer to mill head, target plate
screwed to mill base. Cap on lazer and target plate have a #51 hole drilled to reduce size of beam.
Base plate mounting holes larger than screws, allows alignment of plate to beam.

DSCN0340.JPG
DSCN0341.JPG
DSCN0344.JPG
armscor 1

Re: Asian mill head alignment.

Post by armscor 1 »

The curse of the round head mill losing alignment when raising and lowering the head.
I mounted my laser on the head pointing to my concrete wall some 12 feet away.
Fully raised the head and marked the wall where the laser was pointing and using dial indicator set a datum on the table.
Fully lowered the head centering on the datum on the table and marked the wall where the laser was pointing.
Marked the wall between the 2 laser points, this gave me precise tram of the head.
The more distance you can achieve between laser and datum gives you greater accuracy.
This system gets you close enough but for higher accuracy you need to dial in the alignment after moving head.
The problem being when tightening head clamp bolts you get a slight rotational shift of the head.