K&T is home!

Discussion on all milling machines vertical & horizontal, including but not limited to Bridgeports, Hardinge, South Bend, Clausing, Van Norman, including imports.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Andypullen

K&T is home!

Post by Andypullen »

Hello All!

I added a K&T #2K horizontal mill to my shop Friday. She was built in March of 1941 and is quiet....no gear or bearing noise at all. And, everything works.

Can’t wait to get her wired up and making chips.

Andy Pullen
Attachments
FDF9EB12-7F42-4284-BE46-275175C04CE4.jpeg
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.
Steggy

Re: K&T is home!

Post by Steggy »

Andypullen wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:41 pmI added a K&T #2K horizontal mill to my shop Friday. She was built in March of 1941 and is quiet....no gear or bearing noise at all. And, everything works.
Ah, I remember those beasts from my days in the railroad supply industry. We had two of them in the tool room and a bunch more on the shop floor. Those things are built like a Pershing tank and seemingly last forever. I'm pretty sure if a bomb had hit the building the K&Ts would have been the only thing left standing.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Beautiful, I'm envious.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Very nice, congrats. I always wanted one of those with the universal table. Wanted, not need, but still... :roll: :lol:
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
armscor 1

Post by armscor 1 »

Keith Rucker just bought BIG K+T.
Good watch on Y T.
Andypullen

Post by Andypullen »

Yes, I saw Keith's machine. Much prettier than mine.

This is a plain machine. I purchased her from a machine shop outside of Hazelton, PA. 3 hours away from me. The machine was surplus to their needs and too small to do the work that they're now doing. It was on ebay for awhile.

I've wanted one of these since I ran one on a regular basis back in the late '90s. I figured that since I have the new space, a 20' x 36' pole barn for my shop, that it was a good time to find one. There is a need for it....I have probably 9 sets of piston valve cylinders to bore. Horizontal mills make nice boring machines. I did purchase a carbide insert shell mill for roughing work. There are a bunch of locomotive main rods that need their thicknesses reduced, too. Among other things.
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Nice.

I watch Keith Rucker, Keith Fenner and Adam Booth use theirs and they just remove metal so effortlessly compared to what us ordinary mortals have for equipment.

Did you get a vertical head with it?

Steve
pete

Post by pete »

Congratulations and I'm envious as well. Until I saw a few K&T's working on Youtube I didn't know much about them. Still don't to be honest, like Steve said they quietly and it seems effortlessly just chew the metal off with really decent surface finishes. Any Bridgeport or clone is a toy in comparison. There's no substitute for mass and HP that's for sure.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

A good one is worth weight in gold
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Andypullen

Post by Andypullen »

Bill Shields wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:22 pm A good one is worth weight in gold
Amen to that Bill!