Show us your lathe!

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

curtis cutter

Re: Show us your lathe!

Post by curtis cutter »

BigDumbDinosaur wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:32 am
curtis cutter wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:59 pm
neanderman wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:00 pm Very cool to have the receipt!
According to https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/ the $301.00 in 1925 dollars would be equivalent to $4,500.00 in 2021.
4500 Washingtons for a quality lathe is a good deal, eh?
I thought you said Washingtonians... :)
Gregg
Just let go of it, it will eventually unplug itself.
c7z06

Post by c7z06 »

Bought this South Bend 9A about 25 years ago from a dealer in Baltimore. It was originally owned by an elderly gentleman who had it in his attic. It had to be removed through an attic window as I understand it. I also used it in an attic for a few years, but took it apart to move it.
South Bend 9A.jpg
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Some updated photos of my JET 1236PS installation.

tooling_tray02.jpg
tooling_tray01.jpg
These photos are from last October, right after I had installed the semi-permanent electrical setup (which is "VFD-ready"), and fabricated and installed a collet/tooling tray. There's more work to be done. I need to blast and paint the tooling tray, acquire some more collets, and procure and install a VFD.

Meanwhile, the lathe is not getting rusty from lack of use. Below, a part for my locomotive is being made.

making_plunger.jpg

...the finished part.

finished_plunger.jpg
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
atunguyd

Post by atunguyd »

neanderman wrote:Very cool to have the receipt!
Not just the receipt but the finance contract too! I love how it specifies the the actual denomination of each payment and not much else. Looks like in 1925 the payment denomination was more of a concern than other incidents like defaulting etc..

When last did you see a finance contract that took up only three lines on a page?
Now days its considered short of it is 3 pages long. .

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Thaulo

what lathe is this?

Post by Thaulo »

hi guy's
i'm new here, and joined because i have recently added an old lathe to my workshop....
but i have no idea what make she is.... can annybody help me...? i'l post some pictures below...
if this helps, i'm in belgium, en she has a plate reading "R.S.stokvis & fils bruxelles" i know rs stokvis was a dutch trading company and they had daughter company's in athour contry's , like one in belgium, in brussels... but they imported and sold stuf... i don't think they made lathes themselfs... so i'm thinking this lathe is either german or american...... who knows more or can point me in a good direction?
Attachments
draaibank1.jpg
draaibank2.jpg
draaibank3.jpg
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

Doesn't look like any lathe made in America. I would guess it was made in Germany or a neighboring country.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
pete

Post by pete »

There's some fairly distinctive features on that lathe so that will help Thaulo. That round casting on the head stock is one I've not seen before.About the best web site I know of would be this one for information about machine tools. http://www.lathes.co.uk/page21.html Without any name to really start with it's still going to be tough to find though. It does have the European layout for the carriage hand wheel being on the far right, so I'm almost positive it's not American. My best guess is it was made somewhere in the late 1940's after the war up to possibly into the late 1960's. I also think your correct and that's a tag from the dealer who sold the lathe.

It's also unusual having those two vertical tail stock bed locking bolts. I suspect it might have been made to a tool room lathe standard. Is there any evidence of machined or ground flat areas and threaded bolt holes on the rear of the lathe bed? If so those would have been used for a taper turning attachment. That still doesn't conclusively identify it as a tool room quality lathe, but it's another indicator.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

There were MANY machine manufacturers in Europe; my lathe is Polish, my rather heavy drill press is Belgian.
Here in Portugal I see Portuguese made lathes advertised, as well as Italian, German, Spanish...
Transport of that sort of thing used to cost a lot in relation, so they didn't travel as far as they do now. It could well have been made close to home.

I bought my Belgian drill press in Belgium I think, maybe it was southern NL. It's 3-400kg of good old iron.
om636 on drill press.jpg
This big wood bandsaw is Belgian too, got it at auction for 60 euros. also heavyish.
bandsaw 80cm.jpg
Thaulo

Post by Thaulo »

Could you mean these?
Also this tool came withe it... the holes seem to match
Attachments
16216979123464353029903214382410.jpg
16216979525844137008475337694246.jpg
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

Follow rest ! Turn it around 180* ,the finger should be on the opposite side of the tool.
www.chaski.com
pete

Post by pete »

Sorry I should have been more specific Thaulo. I meant threaded holes and/or machined and ground flat areas on the outside rear vertical face of the bed casting. Those would be for what's called a taper turning attachment. Most times but not always, tool room designated lathes were designed from the start to mount one even if the machine was bought without it. Again it still not a sure indicator of being built to a higher accuracy standard. But those dual locking bolts on the tail stock are something you just might see on a tool room quality lathe.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

A comment, and please accept it in the spirit in which it is offered.
The attached images of the lathe indicate that the slide surfaces are not lubricated. That bodes poorly for the longevity and accuracy of the machine.

Before a machine tool is operated, it should be well wiped, with fresh (proper) oil applied to all slide surfaces. If that isn't routine, extreme wear should be expected, as well as diminished response (moving the slide may or may not be as expected).

If, at any time, the oil on way surfaces is discolored (black, from wear of the machine), it should be wiped and oiled. For a machine that has not received this kind of care, you can expect that discoloration will be rapid. Just keep wiping and oiling. Eventually all of the accumulated crud will be eliminated. At that point the machine slides will move much easier.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.