Show us your lathe!

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Daddyjack

Re: Show us your lathe!

Post by Daddyjack »

Here is my old Monarch. I did a complete restoration about 20 years ago and she serves me well. My shop is in the basement and I brought it down by myself. That was quite a day. Jack
IMG_0318.JPG
Attachments
IMG_0317.JPG
PixMan

Post by PixMan »

Nice Monarch! The resto still looks great 20 years after.

This is the Taiwanese "Victor 1640" I got for my retired Dad's home shop a few years ago. It came to him from an appreciative shop owner in Mentor, Ohio who had bought a 2nd new machine from the company I was working for. I had installed the first, and he was so happy with it he bought a 2nd machine a year later. When I got there to install it, he had this lathe, a Bridgeport and a saw in the middle of his floor.

I asked him what was he going to do with that lathe. He told me "I guess I'll throw it on Craigslist." I asked how much, he said "about $500". I was telling him how I'd gotten my dad a BP and was looking for a lathe and that if he would load it onto a truck with his forklift for me, I'd pay him $550. He agreed to that. At the end of my week there, I'd finished the installation and training, and prepared to leave. The owner approached me and told me he was giving me the lathe..."Send the truck." I had to clear it with the owner of the company I worked for, explaining that the owner was giving it to my DAD, not ME. A little shipping damage claim got us free trucking and a new cross-slide screw (that was bad anyhow, but they broke off the handle/end of screw.) It cost us a sum total of $545 to get this machine in his shop.

It came with the Mitsubishi DRO, a 10" 3-jaw chuck (not the one shown), and the Dorian CA QCTP. It even came with a No.2 tool block and a NO.7 cutoff tool block. Last week I had to relocate the Z-axis DRO and put a new reader head on because whoever installed it first missed by 4-1/2". Now we can get right up to the spindle nose when using the collet closer we added (also a freebie.)

Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Daddyjack wrote:Here is my old Monarch. I did a complete restoration about 20 years ago and she serves me well.
Very nice for an old machine.
I wonder---have readers noticed the width of the apron? It's no secret why Monarchs were such great machines.

Harold
Daddyjack

Post by Daddyjack »

You are right Harold. The apron spans 23" and the the distance between the main bearings is just over 2'. It was sitting in the back of a shop covered with a thick layer of dried grease for 30 years before I found it. The original scrape marks are still on the ways. The one thing I have never been able to find out is the correct mix of back gears. I have the tag with all the thread combinations on it and two 5 gal. buckets of gears but I have not been able to determine the position each gear should be in to obtain a particular speed. Any help there would be appreciated. Thanks, Jack
mattgatten

Post by mattgatten »

1942 South Bend Heavy 10R (Small Bore)

Take care,
Matt
Frank Ford

Post by Frank Ford »

Rambold, the small turret lathe:
Cheers,

Frank Ford
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

Now that is a nice little toy; well not a toy for many modeling small parts.
jim rozen

Post by jim rozen »

Frank, somebody stole the right-hand support for your lathe bed!
Should look like this:

Added bonus, these machines can be changed over to look different:

Jim
Frank Ford

Post by Frank Ford »

jim rozen wrote:Frank, somebody stole the right-hand support for your lathe bed!
Yeah, it's barely a six inch swing - just a bit bigger than a jeweler's lathe. Good for the little things I make, though, and the turret holds regular 5/8 shank tools.
Cheers,

Frank Ford
capefarewell

Post by capefarewell »

Hendey lathe:

kapullen

Post by kapullen »

Southwest Industries Prototrak 16 x 30 cnc lathe
Attachments
p1010019.jpg
Fadal Turn, Fadal Vmc 15, Prototrak 16 x 30 Cnc Lathe, Pratt and Whitney 16 x 54 lathe, Pratt and Whitney Vertical Shaper, G & E 16" Shaper, B & O Electric turret lathe, 36" Doall band saw,
Enco B.P. Clone, Bridgeport CNC Mill, Delta 12" Surface Grinder.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Kap,
Can you provide a little information on the CNC lathe?

I find it interesting that it has handles on the outside that are not mechanically connected to the carriage. A brief description of how it operates would be appreciated.

Harold