Toyo Sakai ML-360 lathe... i need help...:)

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Jose Rivera

Board

Post by Jose Rivera »

Is that "board" means that you're becoming a lawyer .... Oh no !!! :-)
GearGeek

Post by GearGeek »

Good luck on your exam! :)

~GearGeek
Jose Rivera

Rotary table

Post by Jose Rivera »

Hey GearGeek, I got the rotary table.
30% piece of Grizzly crap, 70% maybe OK after fixing most everything.
http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... hp?t=77397

I took a concentricity reading after adapting the chuck and is .020 out.
I'll have to back-track starting with the locating hole, then the backing plate and finally the chuck.

I made the mistake of indicating the original hole that was not round at all and trued it with my boring bar.
I assumed concentricity and the hole must not have been concentric for starters. Never dawn on me to do a concentricity check first.
So as I trued the hole, but now is not concentric, Daaa.
Live and learn. Fixable though.

I remember my lead man, as I was getting ready to get my apprenticeship "medals" and move into the journeyman world tell me, "if you make a mistake and cannot figure out how to fix it you'll never be journeyman"

I am going to use the largest possible size, brand new end mill and turn the table to re-cut the hole.

Fun project though.

Boy, those Chinese are experts at putting out junk that looks good. Deceiving
I call that border-line fraud.

Proof that I am not a tool maker ah Harold ? :-)
GearGeek

Post by GearGeek »

yikes! .02? Ahh the fun things I get to look forward to when I finally get my home mill and lathe. Sounds like an interesting project though getting it fixed up and when you do you will know it is way better than it was. It is frustrating that there is no real 'middle road' for tools. You either get really nice (and really expensive) or really poor (and sometimes still spendy) There might be some exceptions but not near enough ;)

And oh well about the locating hole, I am sure you will get it fixed and learning new things is always a good thing. :)

Pics looks good though, hopefully it will be a good rotary table for you.

~GearGeek
spro

tabled

Post by spro »

Jose remember what Regan said "trust but verify". I agree with finelash gearster that it will be better than they sold for at that price. That's kind of how it goes with folks here. They only make things better.
Harold_V

Re: Rotary table

Post by Harold_V »

Jose Rivera wrote: Proof that I am not a tool maker ah Harold ? :-)
Chuckle!

Who would have suspected concentricity would be so far off?

Only proves you're a trusting soul, Jose. You've proven you're a tool maker.

Harold
Jose Rivera

Tool Maker

Post by Jose Rivera »

Yeah !

After fixing all these Chinese garbage I will be :-)

Maybe there is a pot of gold behind figuring out how to make good tooling of decent quality here in America.

Thank you for the medal Harold :-)
wolfgangh

Post by wolfgangh »

back to the gears.... :D

Andrew,

here are some data about the change gears, measured on my machine:

The gears are made from plastic; it looks and feels like black Delrin. The 50 teeth gear has a diameter of 52.83 mm, I guess that makes it DP 25. Being only familiar with module gears, I have no idea about the pressure angle.

The width of all gears is 8 mm, they have a 12 mm bore with a keyway 3 mm deep and 2 mm wide.

I would think that milling such a gear set on your machine is not impossible, provided you can get hold of the gear cutters and a dividing head which fits your table. Not a simple job, either, at least for a beginner. Modifiying some off-the-shelf gears may be easier, if you can find a suitable set.

The bad news is that your machine appears to be missing not only the change gears. On the picture you provided the whole drive train for the leadscrew is missing: The steel gear on the spindle (36 teeth for imperial threads, 30 for metric), the change gear quadrant, the mounting studs and keyed bushings for the gears, possibly also parts of the clutch to couple the leadscrew.

Not meaning to discourage you, but making all these parts on this small machine may exceed your skills at this time (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).

So my advise would be to use the machine "as is" for a while. A lathe of this size can easily be operated manually for all turning operations other than threading, and cranking the handles will help you develop a better feeling for your machine and for the material you are turning. I have never used the automatic feed much on my machine, the slowest feed is still too fast for finishing cuts on small parts.

Hope this helps, and I sure hope I have not ruined your day!

Wolfgang
johnboy

Sakai ML360 wth milling attachment

Post by johnboy »

Hello!
My name is John. I have owned and used this machine for many years now. It is a truly gifted tool and is most repeatable accurate. I bought 'everything' Sakai offered with it when I made the purchase....well tooled!!!. Mr. Sakai passed on a some years back....and none in his family wanted to continue the business. It was purchased in full by a company in Korea...and they still make everything to same quality. The addy is manix.co.kr Many tabletop machines that you are probably familiar with....do not hold a candle to the Sakai, you have a nice machine. Sakai was a camera maker...in that he could not get the part quality he wanted jobbed out, he designed his own lathe. The Sakai ML360 is the end product of a fourty year endeaver. He kept making it better and better. I can copy and send you the owner/user manual if you like. Spindle and turn speeds etc. The Sakai cuts 'BEAUTIFUL' threads.
Stay safe...and be a 'good boy!' :)
john
Ed P

Toyo Sakai ML-360 lathe... i need help...:)

Post by Ed P »

The gears are 1.0 module, 7.9 mm wide. The ones that came with my lathe are: 20, 22, 25, 26, 30, 34, 35, 38, 40, 45, 50, 55, 60, 70, 75.
They were all plastic except the 22 and 38 which are steel. There was
also an additional gear attached to the left end of the headstock spindle
that had 30 teeth and was 20mm wide. The teeth were only machined
on half the width and it did not have a keyway; it is held on by only a
set screw.
I have all the paper work that came with it so let me know if you
need anything.

Ed P
YoungBrain

tailstock done!

Post by YoungBrain »

HI every one i'm back... i was gone for soooooooo loooooooong... I had manage to retrofit the tailstock from a central machinery lathe to fit my lathe... it works perfectly. I'll include photos soon..:)

Gears & gear attachment will be next...hahaha..:)
To MaNy tO mEntiOn...
spro

Post by spro »

Yes. Good about the tailstock. There was a good bit of info, I mean a Good bit of info in previous posts just to help you.