Newbie getting in over my head?

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

nessism

Re: Newbie getting in over my head?

Post by nessism »

How about this one? Seller is a hobbiest, and original owner, and says it's never been beat on. Google suggests this model is still sold, for more than double what this guy is asking. It's supposed to come with the all the original parts, including the stand.
Screenshot_20221028_063411.png
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Irrespective of the name, it comes from either ROC or PRC -> taint from the UK.

which does not necessarily mean it is a bad choice. -> Just that you need to be sure that you have in hand any spare parts that you may need.

Machines from this part of the world are most often made by any one of many manufacturers and sold under dozens of names...and getting exact replacement parts is often (usually) impossible.

It is not like you can look on ebay and find 100;people selling a specific part to fit that seller if lathe.

If you do purchase it, I would recommend that as a minimum you purchase a set of half nuts and both cross slide and compound nuts. Maybe even the screws to go with each.

Other parts can be manufactured or purchased if needed.

Do not forget about the rubber belts.

Asian sizes tend to be unusual and often difficult to obtain.

I know ..I sound all soon and gloom...but I have a precessor to that lathe in my basement that is 45+ years old that I purchased new -> and it needs a lot of work and I am not inclined to spend a lot of time chasing all over ROC / PRC looking for exact replacement parts when my trio of SB lathes get the job done and are needing no work.

Ah...and replacement motors on those machines can be a challenge...again Asian motor frame sizes are frequently not exact replacements for what are normally found in CONUS.

If you like what you see and the $$$ is right...make a move.

Gotta giggle at the foot under the steady rest.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Bob D.

Post by Bob D. »

I think the foot under the steady is so that it can be stored nicely upright without tipping over. Not a bad idea. One common issue with these lathes is the funky lever operated electrical switch for the spindle. They are prone to breakage and often very hard to find. Parts are always tough to find. It doesn't look like it has had much use and no visible rust is nice to see.
3/4" Juliet II 0-4-0
3/4" Purinton Mogul "Pogo"
3/4" Hall Class 10 wheeler
3/4" Evans Caribou/Buffalo 2-8-0
3/4" Sweet Violet 0-4-0
3/4" Hunslet 4-6-0
3/4" Kozo A3. Delayed construction project

1 1/2" A5 Camelback 0-4-0
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

liveaboard wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 2:50 am Can you widen your search area?
I had (have) the same problem, very few machines available in my area and when they are the prices are no fun.
I bought my lathe 1,500 miles from where I live, and my milling machine 900 miles. Here's a really radical thought... what about Mexico?
The Mexican's come up to the USA to buy machines,I have sold 5-6 to them over the last 15 years or so.
www.chaski.com
RSG

Post by RSG »

Not sure if you are stuck on a particular size but you can buy new from Grizzly for those prices and be sure they'll perform half decent. 8" x 16" would at least get you started. Tooling, that's another topic and seems to be life long pursuit.

https://www.grizzly.com/products/grizzl ... dro/g0768z

https://www.grizzly.com/products/shop-f ... athe/m1049
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
nessism

Post by nessism »

RSG wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:20 am Not sure if you are stuck on a particular size but you can buy new from Grizzly for those prices and be sure they'll perform half decent. 8" x 16" would at least get you started. Tooling, that's another topic and seems to be life long pursuit.
Thanks for the suggestion. I already have a small 8" jobby that I use quite a bit.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Then there are the grizzly SB lathes from South of the Brend in the Yangtze river.

I like their improved drive belt system...
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

If that Birmingham lathe was in Phoenix at that price I would be on my way to look and probably buy it . I had a very simular one I bought new from Rutland Tool close to 20 years ago and loved. A friend ? of mine talked me into selling it to him . Regreted it !
www.chaski.com
nessism

Post by nessism »

John Evans wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 1:24 pm If that Birmingham lathe was in Phoenix at that price I would be on my way to look and probably buy it . I had a very simular one I bought new from Rutland Tool close to 20 years ago and loved. A friend ? of mine talked me into selling it to him . Regreted it !

Apparently, the seller is 95 years old, and the guy who placed the ad is trying to help him out. The lathe is buried deep into a home workshop, with no easy way to extract it. I mentioned taking it apart, but that gave him pause. If it was closer, I'd buy it and take it out piece by piece, but it's 100 miles away.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

And speaking of boat anchors, you will not see something like this unless you have a closeup picture or a personal inspection. This is what happens after 64 years when the way wipers are not replaced.
Groove about 003 in deep.JPG
Led to an interesting week of scraping the underside of the carriage just to make it useable without too much chatter. Notice I didn't say "any chatter". This was inherited or I wouldn't even consider buying it.
Get the best you can afford and make sure the installation is level and solid.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

You can always make an offer on the Birmingham. He may want to get rid of it quick. I would start with an offer of 1600 and negotiate from there. It looks like a good lathe to me and well cared for from the picture.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
nessism

Post by nessism »

Mr Ron wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 2:23 pm You can always make an offer on the Birmingham. He may want to get rid of it quick. I would start with an offer of 1600 and negotiate from there. It looks like a good lathe to me and well cared for from the picture.
The seller has had two different people come to get it, but no one can figure out how to move it out of the indoor shop. The seller said they may have to pay someone to come in and extract the lathe to the driveway to sell it. I wish it was closer, because I buy it and move it piece by piece.