Newbie getting in over my head?

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

nessism

Re: Newbie getting in over my head?

Post by nessism »

earlgo wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 2:08 pm And speaking of boat anchors, you will not see something like this unless you have a closeup picture or a personal inspection. This is what happens after 64 years when the way wipers are not replaced. Groove about 003 in deep.JPG
Led to an interesting week of scraping the underside of the carriage just to make it useable without too much chatter. Notice I didn't say "any chatter". This was inherited or I wouldn't even consider buying it.
Get the best you can afford and make sure the installation is level and solid.
--earlgo
This is why that SB 10L interests me; the bed has been ground, so it would be a good foundation to build around.
Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »

nessism wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:39 pm How about this one? Seller is a hobbiest, and original owner, and says it's never been beat on. Google suggests this model is still sold, for more than double what this guy is asking. It's supposed to come with the all the original parts, including the stand.

Screenshot_20221028_063411.png
I have seen this lathe under different names. Grizzly has one that looks real close to being this lathe. They are asking about $5,595.00 for it. The advantage of this lathe is D spindle mount, so no problems with a threaded on chuck. 1.56 spindle bore so you can add a lever acting collet closer with a draw tube. It may be possible that Grizzly parts actually fit this lathe?

https://www.grizzly.com/products/grizzl ... and/g4003g

My thoughts!

Richard W.
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

nessism wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:01 pm
Mr Ron wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 2:23 pm.
The seller has had two different people come to get it, but no one can figure out how to move it out of the indoor shop. The seller said they may have to pay someone to come in and extract the lathe to the driveway to sell it. I wish it was closer, because I buy it and move it piece by piece.
You REALLY do not want to take it apart !!! Not a good idea unless you have some experance working on such, very easy to do damage. A set of "Roll Lifts" would make short work of moving that lathe as long as no stairs were involved.
www.chaski.com
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Amen
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
nessism

Post by nessism »

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/tls/7549790743.html

This one seems to be a Taiwan built SH-900B. Damaged threading gearbox, but the thread below details a doable fix.

https://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/forum ... air-thread

Yeah I know..."Boat Anchor!" Spare me on that front.

I don't mind a project, and I've got an expert machinist, which I'm not, friend ready to help.

As an aside, how do you guys move a 1200 lbs hunk of machinery anyway? Trailer, then dolly into place?
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Having been to ROC many times to support customers who are in the manufacturing business, I can say with relative confidence that many, if not most of these lathes are made cottage industry style, where the final assembly is the only place where the "known manufacturer" is traceable..

Fixes are always possible, but may in many cases the juice is not worth the squeeze if there has been a slight design change .. or a change of sub supplier not documented.

Grizly may well be able to supply a part "that is close".

Many of the ROC lathes use the same compound assemblies.. but I would never presume to be able to purchase one part of a compound and expect it to fit.

Leads screws are the same way. Most are the same diameter and pitch.. but the drive end where it fits into the gearbox may require massaging...all of which is doable as long as you have a running lathe.

I would not assume that apron components would be interchangeable...if someone is selling a lathe with inoperable apron feeds it probably means it has been run into something and damaged.

A lathe of that size fits in a pickup truck. Take off the chuck and tail, move the carriage back so that it balances and lock it down.

Bobcat with lifting forks and pipe rollers has gotten everything into my shop except the big lathe that I put on 4 skates after requiring a small crane.
nessism

Post by nessism »

So you want me to rent a Bobcat? Come on Bill, I'm a hack machinist, looking to learn with a machine in my garage.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

I have successfully used my 2000 lb. engine hoist to move machines onto rollers, and in/out and about.
Also borrowed a fork lift with success to get a full vertical mill into my shop.
RussN
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

We all started that way ...been over my head for 45 years of machine collecting.

Getting hurt while moving a chunk of iron makes a rental seem cheap in comparison. We have a fork truck on the farm but it will not handle gravel drives..

I have moved machines with RO-ROs, but in the end, there is the need to spend $ to lift things.

If you are going to be in the metal working hobby it is something with which you must learn to cope -> unless you want to stay with the very small machines.

The SB in the first picture came in by pickup / bobcat

The big SB came in in a flatbed/ crane and skates that I rented.

The mill came in on a 4 wheel trailer/ bobcat and pipe rollers with hickey bar technique
20210806_121036.jpg
20210806_121005.jpg
20210806_121059.jpg
My CNC mill...well it was $$ to move and does not live in my basement. It came in the farm grain truck and required a substantial crane to pick and place.

If you can get the lathe on a truck with a lift gate on the back....but you may well be into cost of a bobcat to rent.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

If nothing else .keep in mind that getting machines in and out is important unless you want to hire machine movers to ' make way'.

It took some up front planning but I can get any of my machines out without having to move any other machine.
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

Pallet jacks are also a useful item. Check out the local rental outfits. You should be able to find pallet jacks, forklifts in assorted sizes, engine hoists, comealongs, and most other bits of rigging.
Inspector

Post by Inspector »

When I bought my Grizzly lathe and mill I rented a lift gate truck. Grizzly put them in and I used the lift gate to lower them to the ground in front of the garage. Rolled them into the garage carefully on lengths of black iron pipe, my pipe clamps from my woodworking hobby. Assembly was with a hydraulic folding shop/engine crane. When moving here I used the engine crane to lift them and roll into the shipping container. Offloading was gong to be onto a utility trailer, then into the garage (gravel driveway) and then off with the engine crane again. The neighbour came by with the forks on his skid steer and helped instead. The engine crane has paid for itself ten times over for all my heavy lifting over the last 25 years. The rest is taking your time and thinking through so you can have bars, pipes, come alongs, ratchet straps, blocks etc so you are prepared. Have fun with the move and subsequent play time.

Pete