Atlas H54 Rescue

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

mcenhillk

Atlas H54 Rescue

Post by mcenhillk »

I am the proud owner of a new-to-me Atlas H54 (s/n 027838 so late '30s to early '40s maybe?). The first order of business is to clean it up and inspect the assemblies. There's a LOT of slop in the carriage hand wheel as well as some in the cross slide and the compound. Hopefully that slop is and adjustment problem and not wear. They ways look great but I'll need to take a closer look later. Once that's done, I'll need to find a different bench to put it on. The current one is a collection of 2" lumber that may have been solid when it was made but it's too loose now. It's been 25-ish years since I have been in a machine shop and looking forward to cutting some metal again.

So, that's my quick introduction. See you around.
rmac

Re: Atlas H54 Rescue

Post by rmac »

Welcome to the board. There are lots of folks here who know lots of stuff. You'll like it.

-- Russell Mac
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

In my experience the hand wheel slop probable means the shaft hole in the apron is worn. No adjustment available there. And .05 worth of advice please put at least a state location in your profile. You just might have someone near that could help you out with repairs you are not able/equipped to do.
www.chaski.com
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

The slop in the handwheel could just be that the screws that hold it all together on the back of the apron are loose.

You should be able to look at it, maybe with a mirror, or maybe put a finger on it and see / feel that it's moving.

Steve
mcenhillk

Post by mcenhillk »

From the manual I have for the 12", it sounds like removing the carriage seems to be an expected cleaning/maintenance procedure. I'll take a look at what's going on when I pull that off. School has started again so my garage meditation time has been reduced but I'll keep working on cleaning it up. I'll drop into lurk mode and start building the list of projects and lathe tools to make.

Thanks for the advice.

Kevin