SB 13 Lathe pricing question

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Berkman

SB 13 Lathe pricing question

Post by Berkman »

Looking at used SB 13 lathes.

Do these prices seem about right?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/234017680452?_ ... %7Ciid%3A1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/393434732219?_ ... %7Ciid%3A1

Anyone had experience with the sellers?

These seem like a nice sized lathe, good reputation, good parts availability etc. and a nice step up from something bench top.

Thanks for any advice!
NP317

Re: SB 13 Lathe pricing question

Post by NP317 »

Without knowing the wear on the ways, the price seems a bit high.
RussN
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

Thanks, I agree, and it not being local, makes it even more of a challenge.

Hard pick between some South Bends and a few Logans that I've seen for sale.

Still way more cost effective than a brand new Jet, Sharp, PM, which would be 10-17K for something similar.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

As mentioned...way condition is everything

I would personally avoid purchasing a SB without being able to eyeball the ways in the primary way area.

This coming from a guy who owns 3 of them..one of which is very worn out in that area.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

Second seller has a Clausing for the same money ,has hardened bed . That would be my first choice over a SB.
www.chaski.com
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Bill Shields wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:45 pm I would personally avoid purchasing a SB without being able to eyeball the ways in the primary way area.
Indeed! Especially when the machine being offered has been repainted. Such a machine has a way of screwing with one's judgment, giving cause to think the machine is in good condition when it may not be.

I do not recall the gentleman's name, but several years ago an elderly gent joined our board. He had just purchased a newly painted SB lathe. Not knowing anything about lathes, he had no clue at the time, but the machine was, literally, junk. He ended up scrapping the machine.

Be very careful when purchasing ANY old lathe, especially when it has a soft bed, as most of them do in the home shop class. Don't be mislead by the false notion that you won't need high precision, as a worn machine will struggle to do most any job, and you'll come to the unfounded conclusion that you can't machine, when the truth most likely is you have a machine that has outlived its useful life.

You think you have no need for precision work? How about fitting a bushing or a bearing? An acceptable slip or press fit? A tough job on a badly worn machine.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
TimTheGrim

Post by TimTheGrim »

Lathes are such funny things.

In high school shop I learned on nice Logan 12” machines. My first tool room job had ancient lathes with horrible tapers and I learned how to do precision work on bad machines with files and abrasives. It was a ceramics plant and everything had dust everywhere just wearing away at sliding surfaces.

I’ve been spending a couple days a week in a friends shop building stamping dies. Just yesterday I knew I’d be in front of a Clausing 14” that was insanely noisy and I took in some canal caps for my ears. I’d always been on the BP or SG off to the side while my pal ran the lathe and I just dreaded the noise. This time the roles were reversed and within an hour he told me to stop as the noise was driving him nuts. We pulled off the lower side cover, exposing the vari-drive, and I ran it to diagnose the noise. No Noise ! The grommets that locate the side cover on some pins were all missing and it was the cover that was rattling even though the fasteners were tight. A simple fix and an entirely new opinion of the machine tool. Old lathes have many mysteries. Some easy and some dreadful. Always a gamble.

8 yrs ago ENCO put out a 20% off coupon with NO Exclusions. Long story short I got a brand new ENCO 13x40 Gear Head Lathe delivered for $2889.00. I still marvel at how lucky I was to get that deal. Various people whose old Harleys are again rolling down the road, University Engineering students whose projects reached fruition and my lawnmower have all benefited from having this machine in my home shop. I don’t abuse it and it does pretty much anything I ask of it.

I’m guessing from your profile this would be a home shop lathe choice. Aside from politics and the like, I honestly think a machine like this is a great home shop choice and very economical.

https://exacttooling.com/products/pr751 ... 61caeff48a
Illigitimi non Carborundum
'96 Birmingham mill, Enco 13x40 GH and Craftsman 6x18 lathes, Reid 2C surface grinder. Duro Bandsaw and lots of tooling from 30+ years in the machining trades and 15+ years in refinery units. Now retired