edison 1340 gh lathe

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Ljamester

edison 1340 gh lathe

Post by Ljamester »

Hello,
this is my first post on this forum.
I have recently aquired an edison 1340gh lathe and i am looking for some info on it. Specifically a wire diagram or even a picture of the wireing in
the back of the lathe.
from what i understand this lathe was manufactured by DAR SIN out of china and was sold under several different names. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
image0.jpeg
image2.jpeg
image3.jpeg
image4.jpeg
TimTheGrim

Re: edison 1340 gh lathe

Post by TimTheGrim »

220/380 ? Single or 3 Phase ? You need to be more specific.
Illigitimi non Carborundum
'96 Birmingham mill, Enco 13x40 GH and Craftsman 6x18 lathes, Reid 2C surface grinder. Duro Bandsaw and lots of tooling from 30+ years in the machining trades and 15+ years in refinery units. Now retired
Ljamester

Post by Ljamester »

220 3 phase
the lathe was given to my by a large company that was going to throw it away. sombody messed with the wireing in the back and the transformer was blown. just trying to find some information on how it was originally wired . they didnt give me a manual or any wire schematic.
TimTheGrim

Post by TimTheGrim »

I hope this helps…These are from my ENCO 13/40 and should be pretty close.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/4gp1T1R

Thanks for posting this today, it jogged my memory to get out my lathe manual to look for and order a spare rotary switch before the original fails on me at the worst possible time.
I got one off EBay for $12.50. Cheap insurance.
Illigitimi non Carborundum
'96 Birmingham mill, Enco 13x40 GH and Craftsman 6x18 lathes, Reid 2C surface grinder. Duro Bandsaw and lots of tooling from 30+ years in the machining trades and 15+ years in refinery units. Now retired
Ljamester

Post by Ljamester »

As a read back on this i can see that i wasnt very clear on why i am looking for a wire schematic or a picture of the electircal control box on the back of another edison 1340gh or DSL 1340gh. I am assuming that the last so called electrician that worked on this lathe maybe tried to replace a contactor and crossed some wires and burnt up the transformer. the transformer is 220v primary 110/24v secondary.
I am not an electrician but im pretty good at working through problems like this with the right help. these are some pictures before and after i removed the transformer.
IMG_9761.jpg
IMG_9804.jpg
transformer.jpg
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

Not a electrician but I would think first order of biz would be to see if you need both 110-24 V outputs. See what the contactor coils are. Is the anything that needs 110 ie work light -coolant pump etc? I'm lucky as I have a pro electrician friend that a good part of his work is trouble shooting ! I will say I'm envious ,you got a heck of a deal there!!
www.chaski.com
NP317

Post by NP317 »

The data badge on the lathe indicates the input power is 220Vac, 3 phase, and the controls run off of 110 V and the light uses 24V.
A replacement transformer should be relatively easy to locate.
RussN