1978 13 in South Bend base bolt pattern

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

svj1

1978 13 in South Bend base bolt pattern

Post by svj1 »

Hello, I am going to pick up a 13 in South Bend Lathe but want to drill my channel so I can set it on casters when I go pick it up. Would anyone have the width of the bolt pattern for the headstock and the tailstock area in the base? Thank you very much , Scott
Harold_V

Re: 1978 13 in South Bend base bolt pattern

Post by Harold_V »

Unless your channels projects well beyond the front and back of the lathe, so there's a broad base for the casters, I'd tend to discourage your choice. The reason is if you mount the machine on casters and move it towards the front or rear, the slightest bump will bring it to a dead stop with the potential for extremely damaging results. Lathes are quite top heavy and tip over readily given the slightest provocation.

If your plan was to install the channel parallel with the lathe bed, that's really not a good idea.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

H is correct.

Get some riggers skates. -> rent them if necessary.

I have moved many lathes larger than a SB13 that way.

I currently have a SB 16 and moved it into place with skates using a pull bar on one of the skates as a way to move...never push on the top of a lathe to move it.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

And if you use skates, secure them in place. I used them for my previous 11" Rockwell lathe and didn't realize one corner was over the slightest of depressions in the floor. The lathe didn't twist to maintain pressure, the skate stopped as the lathe moved over it, and I very nearly dropped it.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper