Chuck

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

hoppercar

Chuck

Post by hoppercar »

Looking for a new 3 jaw chuck for my 9 inch south bend lathe. It has a threaded spindle. ....1 1/2 -8. The chuck screws onto....
whateg0

Re: Chuck

Post by whateg0 »

Is this supposed to be an ISO ad? Or are you looking for recommendations? New or used? I like plain back with a back plate so I can use the chuck for something else later on. If that's not what you're asking, say what you want.
hoppercar

Post by hoppercar »

Yeah, I think I am going to have to go with the plain back chuck, and a threaded back plate....you just can't seem to find the south bend 3jaw, threaded chucks anymore
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

That's what I did; then you have a wide choice of chucks.
I bought a couple of cast iron rough blanks and cut them to suit. Good fun and educational for a beginner like me.
pete

Post by pete »

Raw or semi finished C.I. chuck back plates and plain back chucks are just about standard in stock items at any industrial tool supplier. And today I think I'd always buy a 3 jaw that has the two piece jaw design. Having the ability to add shop made soft jaws can be a real useful option.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Best deal I found on a 1-1/2x8 6" backplate was little machine shop. They also have smaller sizes.

Steve
bill jones

Post by bill jones »

---I don't have a NEW chuck but I've got a decent used 6" chuck off of my old 1950 era Craftsman lathe
---it has the 1-1/2-8 threaded backplate---but only has a set of 3 hard jaws that are for gripping from the inside
---I have degreed the OD of the back plate in 10 & 5 degree increments
---if you have an interest in it I'd consider an offer
Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »

This one might be a little big, but its new.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/8-3-JAW-SELF-C ... SwJkJWln48
Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »

This one is a better size at 6" and its new.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-3-JAW-SELF-C ... SwoydWlnce

I bought a 5" chuck from them with bolt on tops for my index head. I am happy with it.