Parts diagram for South Bend lever tailstock

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

k4kfh

Parts diagram for South Bend lever tailstock

Post by k4kfh »

Anyone have a parts diagram for this lever/handwheel combo type of headstock? I know they made these for South Bends, but I'm wanting to copy the design for another lathe.

https://www.kenosha-reuse.com/WAUKEEGAN ... lstock.cfm
Glenn Brooks

Re: Parts diagram for South Bend lever tailstock

Post by Glenn Brooks »

I don’t have a parts diagram, but do have the actual part - tailstock off my 1925 SB 9”.

Be happy to take some measurements if you need. Also, check eBay. There were a couple of SB tailstocks listed for sale last week.

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
k4kfh

Post by k4kfh »

If you could take the ram out and take some pictures of that mechanism, that would be awesome. I'm trying to figure out exactly how they did that without sacrificing rigidity. I would've thought they'd have a "telescoping" sort of design, with the outermost part lever-operated and the traditional screw-driven tailstock mechanism as the inner portion. But it doesn't look like that's what they did. If you can shed some light on the guts of the mechanism, that would be fantastic!

PS-that sounds like a lovely little lathe. I must admit I have a little lathe envy... I love my little Taig, and it's great for me since I'm an apartment-dweller right now, but an old SB like that is on my bucket list.
whateg0

Post by whateg0 »

After drilling a couple dozen through holes in stock an inch and a half long, I can definitely see some benefit in this. I can't see how it could be made as rigid as the original ts, though. I wish the ts on my 10ee didn't weigh five million tons.i would be more inclined to build a dedicated ts just for drilling holes like that. As it is I already hate that every time I take the 4 jaw off the lathe because I need the 3 jaw I immediately have a job that requires the 4 jaw again. I'm sure the same would happen with the ts.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

k4kfh wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:41 am If you could take the ram out and take some pictures of that mechanism, that would be awesome. I'm trying to figure out exactly how they did that without sacrificing rigidity. I would've thought they'd have a "telescoping" sort of design, with the outermost part lever-operated and the traditional screw-driven tailstock mechanism as the inner portion. But it doesn't look like that's what they did. If you can shed some light on the guts of the mechanism, that would be fantastic!

PS-that sounds like a lovely little lathe. I must admit I have a little lathe envy... I love my little Taig, and it's great for me since I'm an apartment-dweller right now, but an old SB like that is on my bucket list.
Over the next few days I’ll take it apart and try to get some pics of what’s inside. I need to dissemble to free up the locking lever anyway. So have been planning the job for a few weeks anyway... The locking mechanism is frozen up after 70 years in storage. Dried machine oil I think...

The few tailstocks I’ve taken apart were all simple screw mechanisms. I don’t expect the old SB to be different- but will know for sure probably by the weekend.

Pics forthcoming.

Glenn

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

k4kfh

Post by k4kfh »

whateg0 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:37 pm After drilling a couple dozen through holes in stock an inch and a half long, I can definitely see some benefit in this. I can't see how it could be made as rigid as the original ts, though. I wish the ts on my 10ee didn't weigh five million tons.i would be more inclined to build a dedicated ts just for drilling holes like that. As it is I already hate that every time I take the 4 jaw off the lathe because I need the 3 jaw I immediately have a job that requires the 4 jaw again. I'm sure the same would happen with the ts.
Yeah, I'm a college student, and I have the same issue with our 14" lathe we have on campus. Nice machine, plenty of power, and very rigid, but friggin annoying to work with since everything on it is just big enough to be tough to move. Luckily, the machine I'm talking about building a tailstock for is a Taig micro lathe, so this entire tailstock will likely weigh less than one chuck jaw on your 10EE.
pete

Post by pete »

Yeah a well made 14" lathe would have a fairly heavy to move tail stock, but if any of the handle locks don't operate freely and the tail stocks hand wheel doesn't rotate and move the spindle in/out under no load conditions with almost zero effort somethings really wrong. With an on campus student used lathe I'd be willing to bet if it is like that then everything needs pulling apart for a thorough cleaning and relube.

Since your mostly looking for ideas and will have to redesign from almost anything you do find, then having dimensions from a SB lathe isn't going to be all that important anyway. I just did a Google search and found multiple forum posts and YT videos about modifying Taig tail stocks to lever feed as well as dozens more for many other lathe brands. Doing an image search will find even more. Steal every good idea you can from those and come up with your own hopefully even better version. That's what I usually do. If it's a good enough technique for the big manufacturer's to do, it's good enough for me to steal even that idea. :-)
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

K4kfh,

Finally got the tail stock apart and cleaned it up - dried oil had seized up the locking mechanism. I can get a couple of photos tomorrow.

Basically, this is a very simple mechanism: 4” x1” OD quill slids in and out of the tailstock casting. The rear of the quill is drilled and threaded to accept a 1/4” screw threaded shaft about 1” long. A handwheel attached to the rear of the shaft turns the threaded shaft, driving the quill in and out of the casting. There is no telescoping mechanism per se. just the quill and the threaded shaft.

I’ll,see,what I,can do to disassemble again, take a few photos and make a sketch with key measurements.

The sophisticated parts re: machining, would be setting a,pin into the casting to guide the quill as it travels in and out, and making a retaining nut at the rear to hold the threaded quill in place, and turning a Morris (Morse?) taper into the business end of the

But, I’ll follow up with pics and dims tomorrow.

Glenn

Domodude17

Post by Domodude17 »

Did you ever get a chance to make some measurements of the parts?