Should I make a bearing follower rest

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

AllenH59

Should I make a bearing follower rest

Post by AllenH59 »

I have been doing some long work, and I think I would prefer a follower with bearings for the simple fact that the bearings are not consumed like the brass is, I am relatively new to using these, and the opinions of the pro's would appreciated. my lathe is 48" center to center, and I have been doing some long work.. When the follower gets loose and requires a little tightening it will start to chatter, of course... Please feel free to suggest technique or should I just build another..
John Hasler

Re: Should I make a bearing follower rest

Post by John Hasler »

Do you mean that you have a follower?
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Modify your existing follower bearings?
RussN
Follower.jpg
Follower.jpg (6.36 KiB) Viewed 6458 times
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

A follower, by definition, is going to be close to the cutting tool. Roller bearing fingers can easily trap chips and related, embedding it in the work piece, or causing loss of accuracy due to it spacing off the finger. Plane bearing fingers, if well adjusted, will tend to wipe away chips instead of embedding. I could see bearings working better on a fixed steady.

That said, it seems to be less of a problem with flood coolant, and you commonly see rollers on turret lathe "box tools", which are really just a follow/lead steady rest combined with cutting tool. Just something to think about.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

BadDog wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:54 pm Roller bearing fingers can easily trap chips and related, embedding it in the work piece, or causing loss of accuracy due to it spacing off the finger. Plane bearing fingers, if well adjusted, will tend to wipe away chips instead of embedding.
I wonder if you can make wipers like a way wiper?

Steve
Russ Hanscom

Post by Russ Hanscom »

I had need to make some long acme screws. As noted, the edges on the screws tended to cut into the brass so they needed periodic adjustment. A roller bearing finger probably would have lifted the due to the burrs on the edge of the thread. I had to adjust the brass tipped one after every few passes, but possibly the better of the two options.

A wiper of some type would be a good idea, it would have to be stiff enough to remove burrs.
AllenH59

Post by AllenH59 »

John Hasler wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:12 pm Do you mean that you have a follower?
Yes, I have a follower, they are 5/8 rods with smaller brass tips, the rods have a flat side. the brass is very soft, and if the finish of the cut is not perfect it erodes.. I could modify it, I would have to use very small bearings. if I cut from the chuck towards the tailstock the chips go ahead of the cutter with all the cutters I used. Maybe if I used bronze it would wear a bit better... Just thinking..
johnfreese

Post by johnfreese »

I was wondering if carbide tips would work. They would have to be dead nuts square with the finger. Has anybody tried it?
AllenH59

Post by AllenH59 »

The brass tipped follower is my friend now.. I found a solution.. I put a bit of sand paper under the brass tips,rough side out, gave it a bit of oil, , and it worked like a charm.