How tall?

All discussion about lathes including but not limited to: South Bend, Hardinge, Logan, Monarch, Clausing and other HSM lathes, including imports

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

SquareNut

How tall?

Post by SquareNut »

My SB9C is sitting on a pretty crude base the previous owner cobbled together. I am going to build a new one but I'm hung up on how tall it should be. What height do you have your lathes at?
earlgo

Re: How tall?

Post by earlgo »

My lathe spindle centerline is 54" from the floor and I wouldn't have it any shorter because I am 72" tall. When I moved it into my garage shop I added 6" to the factory height and never regretted it. Standing stooped over is a pain in the neck as the saying goes.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Bend your elbow at 90 degrees with your hand in front of you.

The controls should be near your hand.

Steve
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

With Steve.about the controls .however for reference..I have a bad back and bad eyes...and am 6' 1" tall and find all factory lathe heights too low.

My SB Heavy 10 sits on a factory stand sitting 6" off the floor on blocks and leveling feet..and I wish it was 6" higher.

My SB 16" sits flat on the floor on short leveling feet..the controls are a bit low and the spindle WAY TOO LOW for extended work.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
SquareNut

Post by SquareNut »

Thank you for your input!